2. Chuck Colson on “Truth, Love and Endurance: Dr. King and Christian Activism” you can also listen to his commentary.
3. Justin Taylor interviews Robert P. George, a member of the President’s Council on Bioethics, the McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University, and director of the school’s James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions, on Roe v. Wade, 35 years later.
4. Bill Clinton Has a Dream during Martin Luther King Jr.’s son’s speech at Ebeneezer Baptist Church.
5. Chicago Tribune: “The Use and Abuse of Ronald Reagan” by Victor Davis Hanson reminds readers of President Reagan’s record as GOP candidates try to out-Reagan one another.
6. French President Nicolas Sarkozy is being criticized for being “un-French” by talking about religion in society.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy is drawing criticism from opponents for his frequent and increasing talks on religion in society, which critics say is a very “un-French” thing to do.
Sarkozy broke a taboo last December when he emphasized France’s Christian roots at a speech in Rome basilica, referring to France as “the eldest daughter of the Church” and stating that “the roots of France are essentially Christian.”
Some say his speeches, including his latest in Saudi Arabia’s capital city, ignore a French law separating church and state.
“A speech citing God not only on every page, but on every line, creates a fundamental problem for the republic,” argued Socialist Jean Glavany at the National Assembly last Wednesday referring to Sarkozy’s speech earlier in the week on providing state subsidies for faith-based groups.
Source: Christian Post
7. This gives soul food an entirely new meaning.
But did they actually say anything that helped voters make a decision?
9. Starbucks can test this in Des Moines anytime. Like right now would be good. Coffeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!
10. Try this for a campaign pledge.
11. Great Quote
A man prayed, and at first he thought that prayer was talking. But he became more and more quiet until in the end he realized that prayer is listening.
– Soren Kierkegaard in Christian Discourses HT: God’s Politics
12. American Christians are self-indulgent according to Erwin McManus:
In a recent article in Christian Today, Erwin McManus contends that the reason why churches are declining in America is because they are self-centered. “My primary assessment would be because American Christians tend to be incredibly self-indulgent so they see the church as a place there for them to meet their needs and to express faith in a way that is meaningful for them…there is almost no genuine compassion or urgency about serving and reaching people who don’t know Christ.”
13. There has been some controversy at Young Life when eight of their Durham ministry leaders either resigned or were terminated over disagreement with a new statement of non-negotiables made by senior leadership of this 66-year old ministry. Six imperatives fleshed out in this proclamation are:
- We proclaim the person of Jesus Christ in every message.
- We proclaim the reality of sin and its consequences—that apart from divine grace, we are estranged from God by our disobedience and incapable of a right relationship with God.
- We proclaim the crucifixion of Jesus Christ as the ultimate proof of God’s love and the only solution to our problem of sin.
- We proclaim the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- We proclaim the risen Christ’s offer of salvation by inviting our middle school, high school, and college friends to confess Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- We proclaim God’s call to discipleship by encouraging all who respond to grow in their faith.
14. Greg Steir writes on The Coming Apostasy, what he sees today with some in the Christian speaking circut:
A growing emphasis on quasi or full on universalism.
A tendency to de-emphasize, question or outright attack core theological truths.
An overemphasis on “the red letters” of the Bible.
An increasing skepticism towar
d certainty about anything.
An overwhelming focus on conversations rather than conclusions.
A redefining of the gospel without propositions.
15. A new tract delivery system (see left) – evangelism by stealth. I don’t know, it might be effective. People like to read while in the bathroom. Could work… could work… I don’t think I’ll be trying it anytime soon.
16. New Republican Leader Map – some shocking changes with new polls coming out.
17. Mom, help! A politician is trying to relate to me!!!!! Warning, the following video is very painful to watch. Mitt Romney meeting with some youth in Jacksonville, FL.
18. Job Security
19. Muslims are not the only ones who are militant and persecutes Christians. Hindus do as well.
20. Evidently Pakistan isn’t hunting Osama. Is that really a surprise?
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Five Points of Agreement with President Trump’s Afghanistan Speech - August 23, 2017
- Our Iowa GOP Poll Shows a Decline in Marriage Amendment Support - August 22, 2017
- Ben Sasse: “It Feels Like Violence Is Coming” - August 21, 2017