1. C. Michael Patton answers the question – What is Orthodoxy?. He outlines what is considered to be Historical Christian Orthodoxy, Historic Protestant/Evangelicalism Orthodoxy, Roman Catholic Orthodoxy, and Eastern Orthodoxy. This is an interesting post and it will help clarify for some of my readers when I mention historic Christian orthodoxy what that means. Usually when I speak of orthodoxy I’m referring to it in that sense and not necessarily from the protestant/evangelical point of view.
2. My new friend Isaiah posted over on his blog Joie de Vivre an account of a family victimized by the prosperity gospel.
3. Are you a part of the problem?
HT: Awaiting Rain
4. Sharia law gained an unusual ally in the Archbishop of Canterbury and head of the Church of England, Geoffrey Rowan Williams, all while Denmark burns. I think this is nuts, as does the New York Post.
5. Seth Barnes asks whether vulnerability is good or bad when it comes to pastoral leadership. I personally think it is a good thing, because I believe that transparency leads to greater accountability, as well as, restoration and healing. It also points people to Jesus rather than put those in leadership on a pedestal. What do you think?
6. Seth Barnes shares a story about a man raised from the dead in South Florida. Awesome story! Go God!
8. A great post on capital punishment over at Parableman.
9. Women seem to faint when around Barack Obama… it is strange because this seems to happen quite often.
HT: Joe Carter
10. John Mark Reynolds posts on Obama’s intended restoration of the Great Society
Mrs. Obama has not been proud of being an American for her entire political life.
Her husband sees an America full of problems and promise.
Combine the two facts with his policy ideas and one begins to suspect that both Obamas long to return to the golden age of their childhoods. They long not for Camelot, but for Lyndon Johnson’s great society.
The problems of American, Obama implies in every speech, are caused by the failure of government to act on the promises Lyndon Johnson made in the sixties. He does not name Johnson, at least often, but he consistently emulates him with a modern social libertine twist.
The real vision of the Obama campaign is turning back the clock to the expansive domestic government action of the Johnson administration. Liberals have long agonized that the failure of the Vietnam War got this ambitious growth of government programs off track. Obama is trying to undue the agonizing (to the Left) Clinton proclamation that “the era of big government is over.” (read the rest)
11. Hey my youth pastor is a murderer… how about yours? Strange, but true story of a youth pastor who takes responsibility for past sin and turns himself in to face the consequences.
12. Clip from ER on their episode – “Atonement”. It shows that liberal theology doesn’t hold weight for those struggling for answers to the questions they have about forgiveness.
13. At the risk of seeming like I’m beating up on Barack Obama (which I guess I am… oh well). I need to share with you Jill Stanek’s blog post on Obama’s history of votes on the Born Alive Infant Protection Act in Illinois. Pretty scary.
14. JD Lusan on Twitter Therapy… interesting post on the benefit of social networking to mental health. I use Twitter as well. You can find me at http://twitter.com/shanevanderhart if you want to follow.
15. A thief strikes again… another argument that we should at the very least strive for excellence in ministry.
16. Michelle Malkin blogs on how to defend your neighborhood military recruitment center from anti-war extremists (she isn’t quite as nice in her terminology. I share her disgust over what Code Pink tried to do in Berkeley. Crazy, and least it seems as though the city council gained some sense.
17. Of course I have to include the post on freaky liberal blog names. Crazy.
18. The New York Times ridiculous hit piece on John McCain. No surprise that they have absolutely no proof.
HT: Brody File
Mary Katherine Ham thinks that it may actually rally conservatives around McCain, and listening to Sean Hannity (not a McCain fan by any means, I would say she’s probably right.)
19. Dick Morris shares over at The Hill that Hillary has no one to blame but herself with these recent string of primary losses.
20. They got it! The Navy takes out an aging spy satellite 130 miles high. The USS Lake Erie takes it out with one shot. Very nice!
HT: Adam Housley
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Ernst Will Work to Add Hyde Amendment Language to Alexander-Murray Bill (Update) - October 19, 2017
- Three Follow-Up Comments About the Ames High School Band Protest - October 19, 2017
- The First Amendment Protects Student Protest We Disagree With - October 16, 2017