Two Thumbs Up for Sarah Palin’s Alaska

imageI just finished watching the first part of the eight part new documentary on TLC called Sarah Palin’s Alaska.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.   The scenery was fantastic as former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and her husband Todd went salmon fishing and then mountain climbing in Denali National Park on a section of  Mt. McKinley.  This first episode provided an interesting mix of Alaskan scenery and outdoor life with an inside look into the Palin family.

What I liked most about the show is that it shows the family uncut and unscripted.  There was some mention of politics as it related to their everyday life (her work with Fox News and their noisy neighbor for the summer), but for the most part the topic was avoided.  I also appreciated that the behind the scenes look gave you a sense that they are a real family with real challenges.  They didn’t seem to censor anything their kids said, for instance, Piper complained about how much her mom was on her Blackberry.  Governor Palin talked about the challenges of having teenage daughters.  You also saw a little mother-daughter conflict when a boy came over to the house.  Also Governor Palin admitted to (and demonstrated) a fear of heights when climbing Denali.  There didn’t seem to be any desire on the part of the Palins to put up a false image, but rather a desire to just be themselves.

This show looks to provide an unprecedented transparent look into the life of a political figure which is something that I appreciate.  I’m sure there will be naysayers who will point to the flaws, but most I believe will gain a new appreciation for Governor Palin, but more importantly, an appreciation for the state that she loves.

Comments

Yes i thought it was very educational. I normally don’t allow my children to watch television but i will allow them to watch next week episode, since it’s so informative.

2. Sysy05 says

I really liked it gives a look at Sarah Palin we’ve not seen before. She seems to be alot different than the media really portrays her. I’d definately like to see more of it :)

3. Bob says

She is a political hack first and foremost and i wouldn’t watch anything about this money hungary greedy slob.

4. Bob says

Actually that is the opposite vibe you get from the show, but good luck from your PDS. I hope you get better soon. Next time you come here to comment actually say something constructive or I’ll ban you.

5. Gopackersgo says

I found it rather boring. Alaska is beautiful, of course, but the Palin family removed from politics is just not particularly interesting.

“What I liked most about the show is that it shows the family uncut and unscripted.”
    “They didn’t seem to censor anything their kids said”

This must be the first reality show you’ve seen if you truly believe these.

6. Nicole_coulter says

“as though Sarah Palin actually lives an outdoor lifestyle” …

She jogs several miles a day … um, outdoors. She does yoga … outdoors. She is a commercial fisherwoman two weeks every year … outdoors. (Or did you think she and Todd caught those fish in their living room?)

You’re grasping at bendy straws, Beastie, and you know you’re pathetic.

• Cheryl~ says

How do you do all of that, plus make the public appearances, the traveling, signing books,stumping for whichever political figures and STILL say, FAMILY FIRST…this is not FAMILY FIRST. She needs to go back to the wonderful life she has in Alaska, finish raising her family, her commitment after marrying (having children) then come onto the PUBLIC stage and perhaps she will offer more depth of character to the public…right now it isn’t ALL ABOUT SARAH…it is about her kids, her family…for now! As many Christians like to say WWJD? Do you really think Christ would want her to push her family in the background to “serve” the country? Who is more important? Her children, or this country?

• Cheryl~ says

• Cheryl~ says

Be faithful in the small things SP , and maybe in time if God sees fit He will give you something bigger!

• Cheryl~ says

7. Carol says

I loved the show and wonder why anyone would want to leave Alaska to be in politics….Sarah Palin showed everyone what a nice down to earth ,outdoorsey person she is and I , for one, would love to live that life. In this day and age when everything you see on TV has something to do with sex and/or violence, it is refreshing to see a good wholesome family that enjoys the outdoors …..but, I’m sure there are going to be people who are going to find something wrong with it and her……I only hope that she continues to enjoy everything about Alaska and stay as far away from politics as she can…

8. Carol says

This show is definitely censored. Sarah actually does all the editing herself, of course it’s going to paint her in a great light. She is actually controlling her image for once… I smell a run for President.

• JJ says

It might behoove you to learn that a person is ALWAYS called by the highest position they have achieved. Therefore, Governor Palin can still be called a governor, just like President Clinton, President Bush, etc. I hope you get some help for your PDS, you seem to need it. Have you checked if it is covered by Obamacare?

• Anonymous says

When then-Governor Palin resigned her position, she specifically stated that she didn’t “need” a title. Isn’t “Mrs.” both respectful and accurate?

Whether somebody resigned or not doesn’t matter. I’m not saying Mrs. is unacceptable just that the practice of referring to her as Governor has precedent. It isn’t like she emailed me demanding to be called Governor, I do it out of respect just like I do for any Governor or other elected official – whether I personally like them or not.

You must be ignorant of etiquette when it comes to titles. You always refer to a person by the last title they held. We just had a former Governor of Iowa run again (and he won) we still referred to him as Governor Branstad. The incumbent Governor he beat will still be called Governor Culver. The second sentence of the post I did refer to her as the former Governor.

We still call President Bush and Clinton Presidents. Former Senators are typically still called Senator. Ambassadors called Ambassadors. Etc.

I’ll look forward in 2013 to refer to former President Barack Obama as President.

10. OC1Kenobi says

If Republicans had their way, we be building condos in places like Denali. Think how many jobs that would create, Sarah.