Mike Huckabee Supports Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act Update: Did He Also Support Cap and Trade in 2007?

imageI’m not sure what bothers me more, what Michelle Obama said on Monday during the bill signing for the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 or that Mike Huckabee supports the measure.  POLITICO reported former Arkansas Governor Huckabee’s statement in support of the new law that allows the Federal government to regulate food served in public schools:

Reversing the childhood obesity epidemic in a single generation — as first lady Michelle Obama has called upon our nation to do — won’t be easy. … The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act makes great strides toward eliminating this threat to our children’s health.

I understand the Governor’s concern about childhood obesity.  I share it, but there are other ways of approaching this other than more Federal government encroachment into an area it doesn’t belong.  Let states or, better yet, local school boards decide this matter with input from parents.  I have to wonder if the Governor would also agree with First Lady Obama’s statement that child nutrition can’t just be left up to parents?

His support of this bill if he decides to run for President again in 2012 will not curry favor with those who desire limited government.  Other potential 2012 candidates, like former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, see the law for what it is, “nanny state run amok.”

Update: I was challenged by a couple of commenters about the position of other candidates.  Well for starters Representative Mike Pence (R-IN) voted no, you can see the House vote here where all but 17 of the Republican Caucus voted against this thing.  I’ve not been able to find other statements by Republicans for or against other than Palin who said more here.

Interesting op/ed here and this one notes that the food stamp fund was raided in order to pay for this act.

2nd Update: Unrelated, but relevant to the discussion… there is this post from Dave Weigel which Governor Huckabee contradicts himself on Cap and Trade.  One could say that it is spin from Weigel, but the video of a speech in which Huckabee supports it in 2007 is pretty damning (I mean that figuratively, not literally).  Here’s the quote:

I also support cap and trade of carbon emissions. And I was disappointed that the Senate rejected a carbon counting system to measure the sources of emissions, because that would have been the first and the most important step toward implementing true cap and trade.

How did I miss that in 2008?  And here is Governor Huckabee’s statement today:

In a recent internet post, a contributor makes the claim that I supported cap-and-trade in late 2007 while running for President.

To put it simply, that’s just not true.

If companies chose to participate voluntarily as part of their corporate policy, then fine. But I was clear that we could not force U.S. businesses to do what their Chinese counterparts refused to – and doing so would have been a serious job killer.

I understand this issue well, and I realize the potential damage that would occur if it passes because I was the chair of the 37 state-member Oil and Gas Compact Commission for 2 years. In fact, I led the state or Arkansas through the process of developing the Fayetteville Shale play of natural gas.

This kind of mandatory energy policy would have a horrible impact on this nation’s job market. I never did support and never would support it – period.

An obvious contradiction, now he certainly could have changed his position on cap and trade in the last three years, but to say he didn’t support it in 2007.  The evidence seems to say otherwise.  If he has an explanation for the video I’ll be happy to post that.

Comments

You know, I have come to realize that Sarah Palin can easily spout the popular conservative talking points because she has never really had to govern. Just like Rush, Hannity, and all the rest. It is easy to talk the talk when you have never really had to walk the walk. She basically just waits and sees what every other conservative is saying and then she throws out some sound bite with no experience in the matter to fall back on.

Criticize Huckabee if you would like on this but please don’t dumb-down your post by throwing in a reference to “other potential 2012 candidates” (and you name ONE) who don’t hold a candle to his level of experience and knowledge of how to govern.

By the way, did she discuss this matter with Kate Gosselin first?

Sorry, no experience to back it up with? Shoot I guess we should just ignore her 20 years of public service in elected office. This post is about Huckabee, not Palin How about defending his position?

Saying she doesn’t know how to govern is completely asinine. By the way there have been far more positive posts about Huckabee on this blog than negative and many of them have been written by me. I’m not anti-Huckabee. He’s just wrong here.

You will find it hard to convince people that Palin’s 20 years of experience you are talking about actually matters if she wants to become POTUS. If you really think some of that experience is really pertinent to become the next leader of the free world then you should count Obama’s experience as a community organizer as part of his “public service” and qualifications to be Pres. No? Never mind she quit the highest position she was ever elected to before her term was even up. No amount of reasoning or excuses for her quitting is enough to convince people she could handle a promotion.

As far as Huckabee’s position he would never go along with M. Obama’s comment about parents needing the government’s help with their child’s nutrition. He has stated this before when the government was trying to control Happy Meals or trying to control what companies put in their food. And in the clip of the interview with Laura Ingraham I provided he indicated that it was the state or local control (or churches) that was responsible for helping out in the nutrition area if needed. Huckabee thinks it is a great idea if companies on their own want to promote health but the government cannot force them. It is kind of like his Cap and Trade stance. Great if people comply but it should not be forced by the government. A lot of people take this out of context and think he supports not only the idea but that the government should implement the idea. Not true.

Huckabee has not really explained his statement that you cited but I am sure he will.

I find it very odd that you feel the need to attack Palin. I wasn’t questioning Governor Huckabee’s ability to govern, just challenging his position. Governor Palin didn’t direct her comment to Governor Huckabee, and was actually made before the act even passed the House. Again, this post is about Huckabee, not Palin. If I find other statements against this bill from other potential contenders I’ll certainly update.

Governor Huckabee needs to retract, he’s dead wrong on this issue.

Here is a little more on Gov. Huckabee’s stance on this issue and how they addressed the problem of childhood nutrition. Notice he refers to “his experience in Arkansas.”

Let me clarify, it isn’t “great” for a state to do. It is an issue that constitutionally speaking can be left to the states. I’d prefer issues like this be handled at even more local level.

• QuoVadisAnima says

Shane, you made a statement – and then you realized that you needed to qualify your remark to avoid misunderstanding. You then offered your clarification. Huckabee has done essentially the same thing regarding cap and trade. So why should his qualification & clarification of his views be given any less respect & consideration?

• QuoVadisAnima says

These kinds of statements are what give many of us concerns about Mr. Huckabee. Generally, I like the guy. If he wins the nomination for president in 2012, I’ll support him. I just don’t like his tendency to support “nanny-state” policies like this one. We can’t control everything or solve every problem. We can’t do these things through government force, community involvement, or education. People will make decisions and suffer for those decisions. To some extent, society will suffer for those decisions. However, taking away people’s choices ends up causing more suffering.

4. D. C. Innes says

Shane, does it surprise you that Huck is a Nanny State guy? This was clear during the 2008 primaries. Max Belz, the founder of Bible Presabyterian Church of Cono Center and Cono Christian School over in Walker, Iowa, said back in the 1950s, “I would not let the state educate my children and more than I would let it feed and clothe them.” That was a manly sentiment, a godly one, and a noble one worthy of a free citizen.

• David Shedlock says

DC,

I am reminded of when Jan Mickelsen criticized John Ashcroft during the confirmation process for not speaking out against abortion. At the time Jan supported the Tax Payer party candidate. My thought then was, even if his candidate won, he would not be possible to get a more conservative candidate through the process than Ashcroft.

Now if you can find a single candidate in the country who believes in that abolition of government-run schools and can win, I’ll eat my hat. I home school and don’t believe in government schools, but if I thought I could only support a candidate who held that position I’d stay away from the two-parties. And if you think someone with that position can win today, I suggest getting out of politics altogether. It isn’t likely to happen in our lifetimes.

I doubt if you will find the most conservative candidate in the GOP willing to abolish the Dept of Education. Sad, but true.

Fine, discuss her position on this issue, not say some something carte blanche like “Iowans Rock” did by smearing her. She has a lengthy record, and for most of her career governed effectively. The few months after the 2008 campaign was rocky due to the political climate. Even with that she still cut the budget and made progress.

How on earth is this a surprise to you, Shane?

It seems totally consistent with every related position he’s had up to now– same way W’s illegal stance wasn’t a shock.

Mostly an implication, going from the fact that it bugs you.

Probably you were too busy pointing out more bothersome things before, at least that I remember– same way that I never enumerate when I say “hey, I didn’t agree on W with everything, but he was a good guy and good person”– but eh. My memory is far from perfect!

I am very worried at his seeming pattern of being willing to use the gov’t for 1) attempted perfection and 2) political gain in denying past actions.

To be honest, I’ve been very skeptical about him since the whole fat kid thing came up– I know how inaccurate the BMI can be with *adults*, let alone children. (All of my uncles were technically grossly obese when joining the Navy during ‘Nam. They also sank on hitting the water.)

7. QuoVadisAnima says

Huckabee has stated many times that he supports the idea of cap and trade, but only on a voluntary basis – that the govt should not be mandating it. Maybe it’s just because I should be sleeping instead of reading news on the internet, but I cannot see where he has contradicted himself here? Furthermore, he has offered clarification and made it clear where he stands at this point in time – and I would think that’s what matters most on this issue (unless you think that he is plotting to get elected so that he can force it on us? ;-))

And on the other “nanny state” quote, I don’t know why this is being read as him saying that this thing of M.O.’s is his IDEAL of how to handle the problem – he is simply helping to draw attention to a national problem of major concern because something urgently needs to be done for the health of our children.

We homeschool, but I am shocked & dismayed when we go downtown to the city museum for science classes to see all the many overweight school kids. When I was growing up, there might have been one or two in each grade level of my school – now overweight kids seem to be the norm and the slender ones are almost the exception. And one doesn’t have to study nutrition long to discover that govt subsidies play a very large part in this problem. To borrow from what Milton Friedman once said about the Great Depression, when govt interference leads to the creation of serious problems, it is to be expected that govt interference will be necessary to undo the harm. And Friedman was as far from a “nanny stater” as it comes…

8. Chalkart says

The comment Governor Huckabee made back in 2007 on the video clip everone is in a wad about was not the same “version” of what “Cap and Trade” is in 2010. It was the same “version” supported by Ronald Reagan. Governor Huckabee is clearly AGAINST the current Cap and Trade and has stated that many times in print as well as publicly, even on his own televison show.

First:
      “I support cap and trade of carbon emissions” cannot be squared with “I never did support and never would support it – period.”

Second:
      You’re changing the subject.

Third:
      Evidence, please, that Reagan supported cap and trade– and don’t try to push emissions trading of sulfur dioxide as “cap-and-trade.” Just because someone who worked for the Feds while Reagan was in office came up with an idea doesn’t mean that he supported the thing, no matter what the blogs say.

9. QuoVadisAnima says

Mike Huckabee posted this via Facebook today (12/16):

Quote:
    Cap And Trade

by Mike Huckabee on Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 12:57pm.

In an attempt by bloggers to provide another “GOTCHA” moment – video of a speech I delivered at a climate conference is circulating around as “evidence” of my support for the mandatory cap and trade bill.

To help sort fact from fiction, here is my position – just as it was in 2007:

Like President Reagan and both Presidents Bush, I do support voluntary cap and trade that would allow responsible companies to sell carbon credits to other companies whose emissions exceed the current legal levels – the goal would be a reduction of carbon emissions over a period of time. In the video, I specifically named Wal-Mart from my home state as an example of responsible corporate policy.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 – that President Bush ultimately signed was not a cap and trade law. It addressed automobile fuel economy, the development of bio-fuels energy, and efficiency in public buildings and lighting. The reference I made in the speech about the House’s action was because it established a responsible and scientific standard for counting carbon emissions – the House had passed it, but the Senate had not. Even in the voluntary approach, having a standard is necessary. In my speech, I specifically said “carbon counting.” Those who are now breathlessly trotting out their attacks that I supported mandatory cap and trade have simply not done their homework.

That is a far cry from supporting a mandatory federal tax and certainly dramatically different from the 2010 legislation known as the Kerry Bill, which I strongly opposed; as evidenced by numerous comments I made in print, in my daily radio commentaries and on my weekly television show.

I do believe that all of us have a responsibility to be good stewards of the environment and to be respectful of the fact that we are responsible to God for good and careful use of His creation. That is exactly the position I’ve held politically and attempted to practice personally.”

• David Shedlock says

Here was Mike Huckabee over a year ago, also addressing the claim that he supported Cap and Trade in 2007.