Tim Pawlenty in Iowa: Our Country Needs Be Prosperous and Good To Continue To Be Great

Former Governor Tim Pawlenty (R-MN) kicked off  The FAMiLY Leader’s Presidential Lecture Series to a crowd of approximately 150 people gathered at Pella Christian High School in Pella, IA today.  Governor Pawlenty in a press conference before the event explained that he was delighted to be participate in this series to share his views about the continuing importance of families in our society.

Pawlenty Press Conference in Pella, IA

I had the opportunity to ask Governor Pawlenty what he had to say to those who say the focus should be on jobs and the economy and not on social issues.  He said that “our country needs to be prosperous and good if we are going to continue to be great.  So if you are going to be a leader at the local level, state level or national level you need to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.  This is not only a question of saying we can only do one thing at a time.  Obviously the economy and providing economic opportunity for jobs to our citizens is vitally important, we do need to be focused on that, but there are also other important things we need to remain to be focused on.  Including our commitment to the important issues of the social agenda which includes life issues and marriage issues and others.”

The answer I was hoping to hear.  He also said that we don’t have the luxury or even the option to focus on just economic issues over social ones.

During his address (made without notes or a teleprompter) which took place after a private meeting described earlier as a roundtable with community leaders which was closed to the press (unless your name is Steve Deace) he stated that “all issues affect the family.”

Pawlenty Speech in Pella, IA

He also proclaimed that the United States was “founded under God,” and that wasn’t just a statement proclaimed by politicians, but it is a belief “embedded in the founding documents of this nation.”  He cited examples of the Declaration of Independence, the Iowa Constitution and Minnesota Constitution.  He noted that 49 of 50 state constitutions make reference to God.  He encouraged people of faith to influence our culture saying again that “we can’t be a great country unless we are a good country.”  He said the starting point for this is that our nation needs to acknowledge God and/or return back to God.  He said laws and court decisions will never changed unless “we change hearts and minds.”

He spoke extensively on his prolife beliefs and positions and listed laws he helped pass as a state legislator and signed as Governor.  He also was the co-author of Minnesota’s Defense of Marriage Act.  Regarding education he said that education needs “to be reflective that parents are in charge.”  He noted that there shouldn’t be a “governmental educational monopoly.”  He also that families are helped through tax policy and a stance toward small businesses that helps to provide economic opportunity that promotes job creation.  He said, “can’t be pro job and anti-business.”  He said that is akin to “being pro-egg and anti-chicken.”

He closed his speech with thoughts about how 2 Chronicles 7:14 applies today and encouraged those in attendance to be humble, engaged and prayerful.

After his speech, Bob Vander Plaats, CEO of The FAMiLY Leader posed questions of his own and from the audience.  Pawlenty highlighted the

Pawlenty in Pella, IA Q&A Session

executive order he signed against the implementation of Obamacare and that his administration was a plaintiff in the Florida lawsuit that found the health care reform law unconstitutional.  He said that he thought the growing number of children in distress was our nation’s greatest threat, and said that a two parent (father and mother) household is ideal and our polices should encourage and reflect that.

He also touted his experience as Governor when he was the first Governor to force a government shutdown in Minnesota, and that the set the state record for number of vetoes.  He said those actions reflects “a fortitude” needed in leadership that there is a line that shouldn’t be crossed.  He touted his appointment of four justices which provides a strict constructionalist majority for the Minnesota Supreme Court, and that he, if President, would look for strict construtionalists through interviewing and looking at records.  He also favors a flatter tax and said that the “fair tax” was a good direction, but also expressed reservations that it could become a VAT tax if income tax was not repealed.

He concluded by encouraging those in attendance to look the records and experience of candidates to ask “does the life underneath reflect their words?”

Comments

1. David Thompson says

Considering that the Governor thinks the Earth to be but 6,000 years old and that all modern science is wrong perhaps we should not elect him? Voting for someone who thinks that those who design our advanced weapons system and medical systems are totally off base isn’t a smart move.

China isn’t going to tell her scientists they can’t research things because of religious reasons.

2. David Thompson says

3. Lazybrooktom says

So Pawlenty is a dominionist who will use the power of the state to compel obedience to his fundamentalist interpretation of “religion”.

“Dominionist” sure. I guess only secular pagans can seek influence over public policy. That’s democratic.

Aren’t you trying to compel obedience to your worldview?

• Lazybrooktom says

Youre the one supporting legislation in the IA Leg that would result in all Gay men being fired from their jobs because of who they marry.

Dominionist does not equal Christian. A dominionist seeks to compel by law compliance with their interpretation of their interpretation of the Bible.

Looking forward to your write up on Santorum advocating throwing all Gay men in prison. Or Newt Gingrich’s support for traditional marriage by divorcing his first wife while she was in bed with cancer so he Newty could copulate with a younger woman who he then left to copulate with another woman.

Lazybrooktom – that’s slander, I’m not supporting any such legislation. If you are referring to the Religious Conscience whatever it’s called, the organization I work for didn’t submit marriage-centric language, our bill isn’t the one that was filed. The religious freedom restoration act which I support protects churches, religious schools, and religious organizations from discrimination lawsuits if they refuse to hire people with lifestyle that is inconsistent with their message. That is a lot broader than homosexuality. As an example if it would protect a Jewish synagogue if I tried to apply to become a rabbi and they denied me because I am a Christian.

Surely you don’t find religious liberty unconstitutional, do you?

Before you claim victim status I’d like you to point specifically with a link where Santorum has ever advocated that. If you can’t do it you are a liar and a slanderer.

I’m not defending Newt Gingrich’s moral lapses. I don’t know where you get the idea I’m somehow pro-adultery.

Aren’t you trying to compel obedience to your worldview?

4. A pastor from MN says

I agree. A great nation must be good. Indeed, righteousness and justice are the foundations of God’s reign. (See Psalm 89:14). But there is no justice, no fairness in a so-called “flatter tax.” The wealthier are getting wealthier. “The share of income going to the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans, which was less than 10 percent in the early 70s, reached 23.5 percent in 2007 — the highest level on record save for 1928″ (Harold Meyerson, Washington Post; stats available from other sources as well). Pawlenty’s “no new taxes” mantra increased the property tax burden and forced the state government to forcibly “borrow” (read, steal) from the schools. Christians should be leaders in working for more — not less — progressiveness in tax policy. After all, we are called to do “whatever I can for my neighbor’s good… (and to) work faithfully so that I may share with those in need” (HC 111).

By the way, “crowd” is an interesting term for a group of 150 souls gathered at Pella Christian High School. Last time I checked, the Pella-Pella Christian basketball games were attracting 3,000. Now *that* would be a crowd. I hope Pella Christian takes note. It is a sad day when a highly-respected school, a school known for excellence, allows itself to be used to give credibility to Bob Vander Plaats. I am no judge of his character or faith, but I have seen his behavior and I have heard his words. I find no “good” in half-truths and misrepresentations, in belittling and insulting others (HC 106, 107, 112),

“Crowd” is subjective, 150 can be described as a crowd. If it were 30 I wouldn’t. Comparing the Pella-Pella Christian BB game to a political speech is apples and oranges.

I’m not BVP’s biggest fan, but unless you provide examples of his “half-truths and misrepresentations” and how he has belittled and insulted others that comment is nothing but slander.

As a pastor you should know better. Also if you are truly a pastor I take umbrage with you commenting anonymously. Stand by your words and put your name to them.

Then your comment about the flat tax, so wealth redistribution is ok? Where does the Bible condone theft? If the wealthy want to help the poor, let them do it, and encourage it. No one should be compelled to do it though. Also if a billionaire pays 10% and I pay 10% the billionaire is still paying way more in taxes than I am, so your argument is nonsensical.

• A pastor from MN says

Sorry, I goofed and replied via a new thread… I’m new at this. But it saddens me that you would blow off the arguments for progressive taxation as simply “nonsensical.” It strikes me as very closed-minded. And you work with youth? Honestly and seriously, that scares me based purely on your knee-jerk responses to people who disagree with you. Let’s say the billionaire has taxable income of 1.5 million, 10% would be 150,000. She is still a billionaire. The 150,000 has no economic impact on her whatsoever. But for a person with taxable income of 40,000 taxed 4,000 the tax has a much, much greater impact. Because the person has infinitely less disposable income compared to the billionaire. Therefore, the “flat tax” is not fair. Jesus made a similar observation with the woman who gave her last two coins, although I wouldn’t use that passage as a proof text. The proof is not in just one biblical text but in the principles of justice and shalom. Have you not been exposed to this at all? Or are you just playing dumb for effect?

btw, just noticed a typo… the quote from the Missoulian should have been attributed to Michelle Bachmann…

Theft is theft is theft – there is nothing biblical about progressive taxation.

So yes I do react in a knee jerk fashion when I see error coming from a pastor. I wouldn’t react the same way with a youth, but you should know better.

By the way, Jesus was marveling her faith and the sacrifice she made. He isn’t advocating the rich man to give more by compulsion. Should the rich give more? Yes they should, but they should do so voluntarily and with cheerful hearts and then give to charity. Government is not charity.

5. A pastor from MN says

When you spread out your hands in prayer,
    I hide my eyes from you;
    even when you offer many prayers,
    I am not listening.
    Your hands are full of blood!
    16 Wash and make yourselves clean.
    Take your evil deeds out of my sight;
    stop doing wrong.
    17 Learn to do right; seek justice.
    Defend the oppressed.
    Take up the cause of the fatherless;
    plead the case of the widow. (Isaiah 1:15-17)

Of course there are many, many more. E.g. James 2:14-17, 26; Acts 2:44-45; and the whole gospel of Luke… and the many and varied provisions for caring for the widows, orphans, and “strangers/aliens” (the last and the least) in the OT. The Bible is clear: God is on the side of the oppressed. The standard reply, “Yes, but the church and individuals ought to do this and not the government” just doesn’t cut it. Especially not for Calvinists. Taxation is not stealing. Indeed, God has ordained government so “that everything may be conducted in good order among human beings” (Belgic Confession, Article 36). Income inequality is at an all-time high. This is not only bad economics (Alan Greenspan) but it is morally wrong. Progressive taxation is fair and biblical. From those whom much has been given, much will be required. The 8th commandment “forbids greed” and “requires” us to “work faithfully to that I may share with those in need” (HC Q&A 110 & 111).

It is not taxation which is stealing, as you imply, but greed. From the Christian perspective, all income and wealth is a gift and we are God’s stewards. We have been commissioned to work for God’s kingdom in the here and now, to put our prayer “thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven” into practice.

Recently, the Missoulian reported the following: “I take my first political breath every morning with one thought in mind,” the Tea Party darling told her audience. “Repeal Obamacare… That’s my motivation in life.” As a Christian, my motivation in life is Jesus Christ. “His resurrection, and the promise of God’s new world that comes with it, creates a program for change and offers to empower it. Those who believe the gospel have no choice but to follow” (N.T. Wright in Surprised by Hope).

6. A pastor from MN says

When you spread out your hands in prayer,
    I hide my eyes from you;
    even when you offer many prayers,
    I am not listening.
    Your hands are full of blood!
    16 Wash and make yourselves clean.
    Take your evil deeds out of my sight;
    stop doing wrong.
    17 Learn to do right; seek justice.
    Defend the oppressed.
    Take up the cause of the fatherless;
    plead the case of the widow. (Isaiah 1:15-17)