House Republicans, Mike Huckabee Blink on Budget Showdown, Sarah Palin Says Don’t Retreat

imageWell it would seem that Republicans in Congress blinked agreeing to a last minute deal where they compromised everything and Democrats gave nothing.  Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is doing a victory lap, and President Obama was thankful that funding Planned Parenthood was avoided.

We protected the investments we need to win the future. At the same time, we also made sure at the end of the day this was a debate about spending cuts — not social issues like women’s health and the protection of our air and water. These are important issues that deserve discussion, just not during a debate about our budget.

Whose future was protected?  Certainly not the unborn.  Why shouldn’t the funding for Planned Parenthood be discussed during a budget debate.  We’re talking money.  This wasn’t an abortion ban.  That statement is asinine.  During a budget debate is the perfect time to discuss what is worthy of taxpayer money and what is not.

And House Republicans caved.  Typical.

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-MN) mentioned that this didn’t even include defunding ObamacareShe said that this was a “small ball” battle, and not worth the fight. (I take that back, I must have misunderstood her.  She voted against the CR that averted the shutdown.)

I disagree.  If Republican leadership caves here what possible confidence do we have that they won’t cave in a big battle?

Instead of larger spending cuts and the defunding of Planned Parenthood only $38 billion is being cut this year, and $78 billion in next year’s budget.  Considering the spending binge that Democrats have taken us on and the massive debt that we now face that is no where near good enough.  What exactly did they give?

Couldn’t we at least have had the defunding of Planned Parenthood that the House voted for in FebruaryAfter the corruption found in that organization that they get a single taxpayer dime is unacceptable!  It must be defunded and the House had the leverage to do it, and they blinked.

They let the government shutdown bogeyman spook them.  Former Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR) blinked as well.  He said on Fox News quoted by Dave Weigel:

To quote two great government paragons, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, you can’t always get what you want. You get what you can, then you fight for the rest the next day… I’d love to see Planned Parenthood just disappear, I’d love to see NPR defunded… but you’re going to put a lot of pain on people who don’t deserve the pain.

Governor Huckabee is it ok for the President of the United States, the Commander-in-Chief, to hold the military hostage over Planned Parenthood funding?  Why in the world would they not allow him to make good on the threat to veto the continuing resolution that would have kept our military funded?  His action is appalling and he should be called on the carpet for it.  Instead we cave… so we can be ready to fight another day…. utter nonsense.

Fight now.  I agree with Governor Palin who tweeted twice today… "GOP: don’t retreat! The country is going broke. We can’t AFFORD cowboy poetry & subsidizing abortion. If we can’t fight to defund this nonsense now when we have the chance, do you think we’ll win the big fight on entitlement reform later on?"

It seems to me that as it stands right now that House Republican leadership will take the path of least resistance.  I had hoped not to have to wait until 2012 to make at least some progress.

Comments

Mike Huckabee is a statesman who puts the long term welfare of America before partisan politics. Sarah Palin is a good looking woman who knows how to generate superficial sound bites. Comparing the two is a complete joke.

2. Gore Vidal says

The republicans were probably smart to do what they did unless they want to see a repeat of the 1974 elections.

3. Anonymous says

In my World, the Spirit in a body has the power of Life, Death & Trails that are traveled (No Accidents)(Spirit Filtered from Unified Field). – That Said: Trump is the Only Republican or Tea Party that can argue a point with Demos or other Similar Misfits without getting his Radar Jammed!!

4. Chalkart says

I thought Governor Huckabee’s explanation on Cavuto yesterday was superb. I think the difference comes in because of being a Governor nearly 11 years and he knows how you move the ball down the field abiding within the parameters of our American governmental system. Many on the outside who have never had to govern often don’t understand the rules of the game that has to be played so they can easily say “he caved in” or wouldn’t “stand strong.” He is usually about 10 steps ahead of everyone else on everything.

It has nothing to do in my opinion with his view on Life or anything else. No American alive today is more pro-life than he is but I think he knew the GOP had went as far as they could go only being in control of 1/3 of the government. This is why elections have consequences. The Democrats simply have too much control right now for us to do what needs to be done.

Shutting down the government would have had zero impact on abortion. What it would have impacted is made it much more difficult to win the Senate or the Presidency in 2012 for the GOP. With a GOP Senate and a Huckabee Presidency- Plan Parenthood would be defunded. Bachmann took the same view as Huckabee initially and then flipped. Many of the other candidates took no stand because they were chicken. Mike Huckabee is a leader.

The GOP would have gotten killed if there was a shutdown. The media is strongly on the side of the Democrats. Unless or until we have a majority in at least 2 of the 3 branches of government, we are in a weak position. Trying to be stubborn when one does not have the power from the people is a way to lose that power. We need to keep that power so the Dems don’t get all 3 parts again and run us over.

Okay… again… I’m going to ask. IF we didn’t compromise and went ahead and shut ‘er down… then what?? The Senate wouldn’t pass it as we don’t have a majority and Obama would no doubt veto if nothing else over the PP part at least before women left him in droves (Hillary 2012?)… then what? We say Oh yes you will!!! And they take a vote, say no and win and then what ?????

8. Mike Grayson says

This was a huge win for the American people. I’m disappointed with those that would try to turn it into a mockery of those Republicans who worked so hard to make it happen.

The unprecedented debt of the Obama Administration has resulted in our Gross Domestic Product (GDP) declining for the first time in decades, something that Jimmy Carter didn’t even achieve.

Mike Huckabee is right in recognizing that the Senate and White House are still controlled by the liberals that got us into this mess. We ought to be thankful for Boehner and his House colleagues. We also ought to get ready for the next big and important battle, the 2012 elections. If we win that battle we can then rectify many problems faced by America.

Let’s see the debt has increased by 55 billion in the last seven days and we’re applauding a $38 Billion cut. I recognize they wouldn’t have gotten everything they wanted, but the GOP had something here that they won’t have for the next battle – leverage.

I’m not mocking them… I’m ticked. I fundamentally disagree with this decision.

I’m not mocking them… I’m ticked. I fundamentally disagree with this decision.

Anyone seen my Constitution lately?

“The government that would take 10% would be EXCEEDINGLY OPPRESSIVE”- Benjamin Franklin

INCUMBENTS- THE “POLITICALLY CORRECT” ENDANGERED SPECIES!

Time for the “Tea Party” to upgrade. “Tar and Feathers Party”, anyone?

10. Anonymous says

I wonder who would support all the children born when these women don’t get free birth control? Maybe people shouldn’t have sex, but they do.
    I am not advocating abortion, but burying your head in the sand doesn’t help either.
    I say free birth control for everyone so we don’t have anymore children!