Perhaps I celebrated too soon. Planned Parenthood’s and liberal outrage at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure foundation seems to have done the trick. Twitter and Facebook blew up and so Komen caves “reversing” its decision.
“We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives,” a Komen statement said.
As first reported by The Associated Press on Tuesday, Komen had adopted criteria excluding Planned Parenthood from future grants for breast-cancer screenings because it was under government investigation, citing a probe launched by a Florida congressman at the urging of anti-abortion groups.
“We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political,” Komen said Friday. “That is what is right and fair.”
As a result, Komen said, “we will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants.”
First off, if Planned Parenthood is spending money on abortions that is a violation of the law (not to mention the criminal activity recent undercover videos have revealed). Secondly, I’m sure anything has changed necessarily (even the left wonders about this). If I have my information correct, Komen was going to continue to fund existing grants until they were complete. In this apology they didn’t say they were going to fund Planned Parenthood necessarily, but preserve their eligibility to apply.
We’ll have to wait and see the full effect of this decision.
- Susan G. Komen retreat leaves open many questions (siouxcityjournal.com)
- Komen Funding Flap Exposes Planned Parenthood’s Lie (news.investors.com)
- The Wrath of the Abortion Movement Unleashed on Komen (americanthinker.com)
- The Komen Foundation Caves In To Bullies (rightwingnews.com)
- Supporters grapple with Komen fracas fallout (vitals.msnbc.msn.com)
- Komen drops plans to cut Planned Parenthood grants (cnsnews.com)