The Des Moines Register conducted another poll about Iowan’s view of same-sex marriage. Out of 800 Iowans surveyed 56% say they are against the passage of a state constitutional amendment defining marriage to be between a man and a woman. 38% say they are in favor. Of course that isn’t how it was defined… they were asked if they favor passing “a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage.”
I don’t think phrasing it differently would change much, but it does show the slant of those asking the question. The amendment would be to define marriage as being between a man and a woman. Those who disagree with that amendment are absolutely free to introduce their own language to actually codify same-sex marriage, but they would rather hide behind the robed dictators.
Listen if support for same-sex marriage is so overwhelming what does One Iowa and other groups who support the Iowa Supreme Court ruling have to fear? Let us vote. If it fails, then it fails. I won’t be happy about it, but at least the people of Iowa got to decide.
The simple fact is this – the amendment is essentially dead in the water with Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal quashing it and his Caucus toeing the line. If this issue was really up for debate then I would suspect we’d see some movement. Maybe not, but I wouldn’t be surprised either.
Frankly prolonging the vote does bode in favor of those who agree with same sex marriage. Inactivity begets apathy.
- Context of the ‘National Tide’ on Same-Sex Marriage (spectator.org)
- Cady: Iowa Supreme Court stronger after 2010 vote (thegazette.com)
- Maryland Senate passes same-sex marriage bill (washingtonpost.com)
- Gingrich Violates His Own Gay Marriage Pledge (theiowarepublican.com)
- Iowa Poll: Majority opposes ban on same-sex marriage (desmoinesregister.com)
- Majority of Iowans oppose ban on same-sex marriage, poll shows (thegazette.com)
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Ben Carson and Christian Charity - February 5, 2016
- Campaign to Abolish the U.S. Department of Education Launched - February 4, 2016
- Jeb Bush: “Please Clap” - February 4, 2016