Is Mitt Romney Trying to Alienate Prolife Voters?

image

Today in Mitt Romney’s interview with The Des Moines Register editorial board, he said that abortion legislation isn’t part of his agenda.  Romney specifically said this, “There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda.”  You can look at this in one of four ways.

1. Mitt Romney really isn’t prolife like he says he now is.
  2. Mitt Romney didn’t want to get caught having an “Akin moment,” and was afraid The Des Moines Register was trying to draw him out and paint him as a right-wing extremist who hates women.
  3. Mitt Romney was having an etch-a-sketch moment.
  4. Mitt Romney is unaware of current prolife legislative efforts.

None of these are good because they either mean a lack of conviction or ignorance.  To Romney’s credit he did say he’d reinstate the Mexico City Policy.  His statement also was not specifically directed at judicial nominations where he promised to not appoint activist judges.  However on the issue of legislation he is contradicting himself.  In a letter to a prolife activist published by LifeNews.com he laid out specific items that would be part of his “agenda.”  Outside of judges and the Mexico City Policy he says:

• Romney said he supports the Hyde Amendment – so can we take that to mean he’ll veto legislation that strips it?
  • Romney said he will end federal funding for abortion activists like Planned Parenthood – so does this mean he’ll do it with an executive order?
  • Romney said he would advocate and support the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act (I know there is disagreement among prolife activists on this bill).
  • Romney said as Governor he promoted abstinence education in the classroom.  He vetoed legislation that would have provided emergency contraception with a prescription and vetoed cloning legislation.

He then said, “I am proud to say that each time I was presented with legislation on life issues, I sided with life.”  Can we not count on him to do the same as President or has he changed his mind since writing this letter?

It would have been one thing had Romney said “we don’t currently have any model legislation that we would try to introduce since our focus is on jobs, but would be happy to entertain any prolife bill that Congress sends our way.”  But instead he seemingly closed the door on any such legislation.  Unless he has another etch-a-sketch moment while in the White House.  In a battleground state like Iowa Mitt Romney will need prolife activists to beat Barack Obama.  The race here is close enough he can’t turn off his base, and he needs every electoral vote he can muster.  Alienating prolife voters will not help.

Update 10/10/12: Romney reiterates his pledge to defund Planned Parenthood to a reporter in Ohio.

I think I’ve said time and again that I’m a pro-life candidate and I’ll be a pro-life president. The actions  I’ll take immediately is to remove funding for Planned Parenthood.  It will not be part of my budget. And also  I ‘ve indicated that I will reverse the Mexico City position of the president. I will reinstate the Mexico City policy which keeps us from using foreign aid for abortions overseas.

Also The Weekly Standard reminds Romney that dealing with Obamacare would be considered abortion legislation.

Update: 10/11/12:  Marjorie Dannenfelser of Susan B. Anthony List called his answer a “hiccup” in a statement to USA Today.

Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the Susan B. Anthony List, which opposes abortion rights, told USA TODAY that the organization is “confident” Romney will keep promises made to conservatives on this issue.

“We have full confidence that as president, Gov. Romney will stand by the pro-life commitments he laid out in National Review in June 2011,” Dannenfelser said in a statement. She said these promises include “his pledge to prohibit federal funding for Planned Parenthood and other organizations that perform and promote abortion, as well as advocate for a bill to promote unborn children capable of feeling pain.”

Comments

You’re welcome. I’m not trying to talk anyone into voting for him. I just know what I’ve decided to do. Had I endorsed him I would have a hard time criticizing moments such as these.

1. Mondez Durden says

Flip flop, flip flop. Whatever it takes to get elected, I guess. this man is a LIAR! I honestly don’t know where he stands on any issue at this point.

• Argon says

Not really. He’s been pretty consistent about pandering to whomever he’s talking to at that moment. He’s already walking back his tax positions and his economic policy relied on obfuscation and ‘trust me with the details I won’t reveal’. I know him from his time as governor of my state: He’ll flip the moment it’s in his best interest. For example, giving the polling data I’m pretty confident he’s not going to expend political capital defending DOMA. While I don’t personally like his style but his flexibility to change is something the GOP, post-Tea Party, actually needs to show that they have an actual interest in mature governing instead of grenade tossing.

I can’t vote for Obama because he always stands for our enemies and not for us Americans. I also know for a fact Obama supports the abortion agenda. I am not for someone that makes me and other women into victims that can’t take care of our kids. I also do not stand for a president that is for 9 month abortion and infanticide.

I understand that Renee, and I’m certainly not trying to convince anybody to vote for Obama. We must be able to hold Romney accountable however. This comment won’t drive prolife voters to vote for Obama, but it could keep enough to either not vote at the top of the ballot or vote third party. With a close election like this he can’t afford to be wishy washy on this subject. Can we agree it was a colossally stupid remark to make?

Speaking of third-parties, I never did hear back from my acquaintance about the details of Tom Hoefling’s political qualifications, but I guess it’s a moot point now since David already ran an interview with him.

In any case, I still think Hoefling is the best third-party candidate to vote for, followed by Virgil Goode. And of course, regardless of who we each vote for, by far the most important thing is that we pray about the election. Vote, and you influence only one vote–pray, and you influence who-knows-how-many. :)

Shane, so you want Romney to lie and say he is pro-life so that we can all dutifully vote for him? Then once he is elected he can do what he believes: that it is his duty to protect and defend the right of mothers to kill their children. You think that people who voted for him in spite of constant backpedaling will be the ones to hold him accountable? What does that mean? We won’t vote for him? Oops – we’ve already settled we will never do that no matter how bad he gets on baby killing.) We are dupes and he KNOWS it. It won’t matter if he only supports the partial birth ban (which saves no babies), we will still lick his boots.

It wasn’t a mistake – this is his real belief and he KNOWs it probably cost him very few votes, because he knows pro-lifers will vote for him anyway, and he might gain some pro-abortion voters who fear Obama, too.

Name one pro-life politician, religious leader or media figure who will change their vote for this.

You don’t think he is that smart? You don’t think this might have been focus grouped?

pro lifers you’ve been duped for the last 30 years by repubs who promise to overturn roe v wade. when will u wake up & realize they only want your vote lololol

Is Mitt Romney trying to alienate pro-life voters?

Well, if so, then at least he’s found the one thing he’s good at. ;)

You know, the younger
    voters have been indoctrinated with the feminist agenda of abortion rights for
    a very long time. In college they believe and are telling the students that it
    is the goal of the radical Christian right to get control and abolish abortion
    rights! I actually had to interrupt a
    professor and explain to her that abortion is not a religious issue, it is a
    MORAL issue. She kind of backed down and I hope the students understood what I
    was saying. Too often they confuse morality
    with religion. Personally I believe that to be a moral person one must also be
    a spiritual person, as it is our creator who allows us to understand what is moral
    and what is immoral.

But for Romney to win
    this, he has to tread lightly on this issue. I hope this is what he is doing.

6. Eric says

I am no Romney fan and I am a Vander Hart fan but this post doesn’t sit well with me. I didn’t caucus for Romney. I don’t particularly like Romney, at least at this point. Santorum lost. He would have been 150% better on the life issues. Huckabee’s not in the race. Ron Paul’s a weirdo. It’s time to move on and embrace the reality of the here and now. Romney’s been clear that he’d SIGN [all?] pro-life legislation that comes to his desk. He should have answered that question differently (no question). However – and this may be the difference between people like me who believe that a General Election vote is different than a primary vote based on one being a civic duty as a Republican form of govt. and another a function of lame political parties people seem to think they can “save” – it doesn’t change the fact that he’s a HUGE improvement over the serial abortion-on-demand apologist we currently have in Obama. Let’s focus on ripping Romney on the issues where he agrees with Obama and shouldn’t… There are a few of them out there. I can at least respect that.