There are records that should never be broken, and the Planned Parenthood Federation of America in their annual report for Fiscal Year 2011-2012 revealed that they have set some record high numbers. In their report they show that cancer screening and prevention services and contraceptive services continue to drop. Susan B. Anthony List provided a bullet-point summary of items of concern from the report.
- During fiscal year 2011-2012, Planned Parenthood reported receiving a record $542 million in taxpayer funding (pg. 8 of report) in the form of government grants, contracts, and Medicaid reimbursements. Taxpayer funding consists of 45% (pg. 7) of Planned Parenthood’s annual revenue.
- In 2011, Planned Parenthood performed a record high 333,964 abortions. (pg. 5)
- Over the past three reported years (2009-2011), Planned Parenthood has performed nearly one million abortions (995,687). (According to annual reports, abortions performed by Planned Parenthood 332,278 in 2009; 329,445 in 2010; 333,964 in 2011)
- Planned Parenthood reported a total of three million clients in 2011, meaning that 11% of all Planned Parenthood clients received an abortion. (Planned Parenthood reports 3 million patients in 2011 in citation at bottom of p. 4 of annual report)
- In 2011, abortions made up 92% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, while prenatal care and adoption referrals accounted for only 7% (28,674) and 0.6% (2,300), respectively. For every adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 145 abortions. (pg. 5 of report)
- Cancer screening & prevention services and contraceptive services provided by Planned Parenthood continue to drop. Contraceptive services have dropped by 12% since 2009, and cancer screening & prevention services have dropped by 29%. (According to annual reports, in 2009 Planned Parenthood’s contraceptive services numbered 3,868,901, this decreased to 3,436,813 in 2011. Likewise, in 2009 Planned Parenthood’s cancer screenings & prevention services numbered 1,830,811, this decreased to 1,307,570 in 2011)
- Planned Parenthood reported $87.4 million in excess revenue, and more than $1.2 billion in net assets. (pg. 9).
“Planned Parenthood has spent much of the last few years demanding that taxpayers add millions more to their coffers, citing their non-profit status and so-called focus on women’s health. What have we received for our money? While government subsidies to Planned Parenthood have reached an all time high, so too has the number of lives ended by this profit-driven abortion business,” said Marjorie Dannenfelser, President of Susan B. Anthony List. “Destroying nearly one million children in three years is not health care and does not reflect a concern for vulnerable women and girls. As Planned Parenthood’s funding goes up, abortions increase and real health services for women go down.”
Dannenfelser added, “As if these numbers weren’t already horrifying, Planned Parenthood has upped the ante even further by mandating that all affiliates provide abortions beginning this year. Americans are sick and tired of underwriting the nation’s largest abortion business. We call on Congress to immediately investigate and defund Planned Parenthood.”