Two More Iowa Planned Parenthood Locations to CLOSE!

plannedparenthoodDes Moines, Iowa–Planned Parenthood of the Heartland just announced that they will be closing TWO MORE Iowa locations. Spencer and Fort Madison will see the Iowa abortion giant leave their towns on March 15, 2013.

Last March, Planned Parenthood closed their abortion clinics in Storm Lake and Knoxville. Then, mere months later in July 2012, they closed their abortion clinics in Newton and the Family Practice Center on Army Post Road in Des Moines. That is SIX Iowa closings in a single year’s time!

In March 2012, we predicted that more Planned Parenthood abortion clinics would likely close. (See page 4 of the IRTL News here.)

In her recent message announcing the closures, Jill June CEO stated, “Planned Parenthood of the Heartland delivers high-quality health care services with very limited public funding…” Very limited public funding?

“Planned Parenthood of the Heartland collected $2.6 million in government grants paid for by our tax dollars in their fiscal year ending in June 2012. (That number DOES NOT include their Medicaid income – which, last time they reported it, in Fiscal Year June 2008, was $4.7 million.)  They also had another $6.9 million in public support in Fiscal Year 2012,” noted Jenifer Bowen, Executive Director of Iowa Right to Life.

Additionally, Ms. June stated that, “With the Affordable Care Act (ACA) transforming the health care industry, it’s imperative that we continue to develop operating models that will best position Planned Parenthood as a provider the people in our communities rely on.” Further, she said, “Sacrifices must be made in order to invest our resources where we can make the biggest difference.”

“It would be ironic if Planned Parenthood fought so hard for Obamacare and the publicly funded birth control mandate and had to lay off or cut the hours of their own staff to keep from paying the additional benefits required by Obamacare,” stated Bowen.

Comments

1. Mark says

You do realize, that whatever your stance on abortion, you must advocate Planned Parenthood and abortion clinics in general. The reality is that irrespective of your beliefs, if a woman is certain that she wants an abortion, then she will pursue one, even if it means taking an illegal, unsafe and unsanitary backstreet abortion which served as the basis for these abortion clinics in the first place. Closing these clinics is irresponsible because not only is the life of the mother more at risk, but a failed abortion from a backstreet clinic may mean that the child is forced to be born, with deformities.

• Mark says

Also, I forgot to ask, would you mind showing the evidence for this?

“Sacrifices? In the fiscal year ending in December 2010, Jill June’s annual salary had burgeoned to $265,389. (This was a 45% increase over the previous two years.) Is this Ms. June’s idea of sacrificing?”

“Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire”

“But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.”

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I
        did not come to bring peace, but a sword.”

“whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”

“”You serpents, you brood of vipers, how shall you escape the sentence of hell?”

“Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge; you did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered.”

“”You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father…”

I’d say Christ was pretty scathing when He needed to make a point. Jesus is not the hippie liberals make him out to be.

• Mark says

You do realize that he never actually said those things. Rather, people hundreds of years later wrote them. They are not actual quotes.

None of the Gospels were written that late, the Gospel of John was written the latest, but that was probably 50-60 years after Christ’s death. No serious scholar, Christian or otherwise, would put any of the Gospels at being written that late. Each Gospel, with the exception of Luke (who collected eyewitness testimony) was written by an Apostle.

• Mark says

They weren’t eyewitnesses.The gospels according to Luke and Matthew used the gospel according to Mark as a source (as well as the Q document); Mark was written first. Mark was written using other sources (notably no eyewitnesses) and later were moulded to fit St. Peter’s teaching. John too, was not an eyewitness account of Jesus’ life. Nowhere in the Gospel is “John”, “Son of Zebedee”, or “beloved disciple” mentioned. It was written far too late to be a reliable first-person account, having been written somewhere between 90-110CE, more than 60 years after the events. If we presume that the writer of John was a contemporary of Jesus, that would have made him 90+ years old when he wrote it. None of the gospel authors ever met Jesus, least of all John.

50 years is much too early. Mark could be as early as 65AD, with Luke & Matthew following at around 80 to 85AD. John comes in latest at around 100AD. The bible itself is a late idea, and the gospels were changed, edited and chosen to be included in the bible hundreds of years after they were written. We know this from the different texts of the gospels and where words and phrases were omitted or interchanged throughout the early years, during the fall of the Roman Empire.

Q is a hypothesis, not a fact, and it has a ton of problems.

Even if “Q” exists it still contained eyewitness testimony. As far as Luke is concerned, Luke 1:1-4, “Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the the things that have been accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught.”

That was the purpose of Luke, and then he carried that on to the Book of Acts, (Acts 1:1).

Most estimates have Mark being written between 50-65 AD. Matthew between 75-80 AD. Luke likely before 65 AD, since he wrote Acts after Luke and there isn’t any mention of the persecution of Christians under Nero in 65 AD. Most scholars will peg John as being written around 85 to 90,

If you’re sourcing your info with folks like the Jesus Seminar and John Dominic Crossan, I’d suggest you actually source some credible scholars.
        Anyway your original point is that these were written hundreds of years later which is simply not correct. All of these were written within the lifetimes of some of the Apostles.

We could go back and forth which I frankly don’t have time to do and it really doesn’t have anything to do with the content of the original post.

• Mark says

My main source is the bible scholar Dr Francesca Stavrokopoulou of the University of Exeter.

I agree though, we could go back and forth, which would be a bit redundant on an internet comments section whether or not it’s off topic.

• Mark says

Well my source at least looks at the written record, which is a lot more concrete than hear’say.

“And anyone who doubts is a blasphemer.”

So I am not allowed to doubt God, regardless of any evidence to the contrary? I should just bow down to a dictator who thinks I am imperfect, immoral, wants to kill me and live a life of servitude and yet, who loves me? Sounds like North Korea to me.

I do not look at the Grand Canyon and think, “How beautiful, God must have put it there.” I think, “How beautiful, I wonder how this happened.” – Without free enquiry, without a right to question the status quo is to live in a dictatorship sir, and I for one welcome being called a blasphemer if it means coming to the truthful conclusion instead of being spoon fed what the truth is and told to adhere to it at all costs, or face an eternity in hell.

Any just and moral God would welcome me at the gates of Heaven for questioning the beauty of his creation, rather than submitting to the writings of some shepherds in the Arabian desert almost 2000 years ago.

2. Coreen says

My opposition to Planned Parenthood is from the horrendous treatment of women who ONLY come in for an expensive pregnancy test and/or health services & DON’T want an abortion.

That was ME many years ago. It was never something I even considered; yet the clinic staff & director harassed me starting with the day of the test, then calling me for weeks… trying to talk me into one. I was 27 and strong enough to say NO. I can only image what it’s like for a scared 17 year old or younger.

Since that day I have met many girls/women who were brought by their parents against their will and/or without any counseling. In every story I’ve heard, the staff showed no concern for those situations or the trauma afterwards.

• Coreen says

Also, everyone should read the book “Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader’s Eye-Opening Journey across the Life Line” by Abby Johnson