Glenn Beck Blasts the Common Core

Glenn Beck introducing the Common Core State Standards

Glenn Beck yesterday highlighted the Common Core State Standards on his show on The Blaze TV.  His guests were Emmett McGroarty of American Principles Project, Sherena Arrington, a political consultant from Georgia, and two teachers from Utah, David Cox and Christel Swasey.

Beck in his opening remarks gave a wake-up call for those who may be apathetic about the Common Core.  Beck stated that this is the greatest problem facing our nation today.  He said, “this is just the beginning, and all of it is wildly devastating for the health of education in our country.  And it has to be stopped.”

He warned, “It is about to go federal and you have precious little time to stop it in your state.  There is no picking and choosing of parts, this is top down education from the federal government dictating to local schools what they must teach and how they must teach it.”

No student or family will be immune.  Beck noted, “they are going to change the SATs and all of it!  If you are not instructed on Common Core, wait until I show you the math, you won’t be able to go to college.  Good.  Local control is out the window with Common Core, and I have news for you if you are a homeschooler you are going to be required to use Common Core soon.”  Watch his full introduction below:

Here is a segment where they discuss data collection, and that is something that every parent should be concerned about. The Common Core and data collection go hand in hand.

This segment highlights the fuzzy math that the Common Core promotes and how it is degrading our liberty through the process it was implemented

If you’d like to see the whole episode, and I encourage you to watch it, go sign-up for a two-week free trail and look for yesterday’s show (3-14-13).

Cross-posted from Truth in American Education

Comments

1. FrumpyDoo says

Glen “Sometimes God really sucks” Beck was hilarious earlier this week when he wrestled with the American flag and then tossed it over his shoulder. You should definitely listen to every word he has to say!

• FrumpyDoo says

You have to understand Beck’s motives. The more scared you are of the government, the more “collectible” gold coins he can sell you at a huge mark up. I’m not sure how he gets away with his denim jeans that cost $367 a pair though.

Considering I’ve been writing about this for longer than Beck has been speaking out I know he’s correct on this issue. Re. monetary policy… that’s a whole other can of worms, and the value of our dollar is something we should be concerned about. Regarding his jeans… I don’t feel equipped to discuss his jeans, nor do I find it relevant.

2. webbie7 says

Beck is so right on this. This is the Federal Govt taking control of all education. One size fits all. We must be diligent in our states to keep this system away. It will take away the rights of families to home teach too. Everyone should get involved with stopping this changing of history and eduacation in America. I hope all parents will get involved in this accross the country. Learn about it and then stop it in its tracks. This is really important.

Only voluntary if your state didn’t want to apply for RTTT or a NCLB waiver. No state’s legislature approved these standards.
      I didn’t realize this was how a Republic was supposed to operate.

3. Common Core says

It has already been approved – however, most school are not fully committed to a book curriculum and I have been told in some instances there will not be a book curriculum. This is taking parents rights to help/facilitate and partner with the schools. It is turning our children over to the schools and in this common core standard the government to teach. There is no way a parent in your 40’s can understand how to help a child with math unless you have a book to reference. The school where my daughter attends has allowed 5th graders to discuss how they came about the math answer- however my daughter explains that the 5th grades say “I got it” or “I did not” during the discussion time. The teacher is encouraging the students to help one another explain how they got the answer. But, the concept was taught in one day – no time for mastery – no additional practice – no teacher direction. Yes, I was told that kids can not read an instructional manual and can not defend their beliefs on a topic. Not enough information has been given to parents, no official books are adopted in most schools, the Parc test has not even have samples and teachers are not schooled in how to teach this material. Total control over our kids by the government and it is scary.