It then will replace that ban with a ban against “reproductive cloning”. Sounds good right? Wrong! The bill itself states:
“Human reproductive cloning” does not include somatic cell nuclear transfer performed for the purpose of creating embryonic stem cells.
“Human somatic cell” means a diploid cell having a complete set of chromosomes obtained or derived from a living or deceased human body at any stage of development.
“Somatic cell nuclear transfer” means a technique inwhich the nucleus of a human somatic cell is injected or transplanted into a fertilized or unfertilized oocyte (human ovum) from which the nucleus has been removed.
Please contact your senator to ask them to oppose SF 115. Also please contact the following members of the Senate Human Resources Committee to ask them to oppose this bill:
- Amanda Ragan (D, District 7), Chair
- Becky Schmitz (D, District 45), Vice Chair
- James A. Seymour (R, District 28), Ranking Member
- Jerry Behn (R, District 24)
- Nancy J. Boettger (R, District 29)
- Joe Bolkcom (D, District 39)
- William A. Dotzler, Jr. (D, District 11)
- Jack Hatch (D, District 33)
- David Johnson (R, District 3)
- Keith A. Kreiman (D, District 47)
- Dave Mulder (R, District 2)
- Herman C. Quirmbach (D, District 23)
- Frank Wood (D, District 42)