Tim Schmoyer is presenting a live streaming workshop for parents to learn about teenagers and the online world on November 6th at 7:00pm (CST).
You can watch his promo video for it here or below.
What parents (and youthworkers) will learn:
- Teen usage of the Internet
- Sexual victimization
- Cyber bullying
- How home life affects Internet life
Introduction to social networking sites
- What is a social networking site?
- MySpace demo
- Facebook demo
- Deviant Art demo
Introduction to media sites
- How broadband has changed the Internet
- YouTube demo
- Flickr demo
Introduction to Instant Messenger
- What is Instant Messenger?
- AIM demo
- MSN demo
- Yahoo! demo
- Trillian demo
Introduction to blogs
- What is a blog?
- Live Journal demo
- Xanga demo
- Blogger/Wordpress demo
Introduction to MMORPGs
- What is an MMORPG?
- Why are they so addicting?
- What is the spiritual influence?
- What’s good about them? What’s bad about them?
- How much time is too much?
- World of Warcraft demo
Potential upcoming social sites
- Twitter demo
- Virb demo
- Ustream.tv demo
What happened to email?
- Why kids don’t use email to communicate with each other.
- How kids communicate now and why: PM, SMS, IM
Tips for the home: What should we do with this info?
- Strategic computer placement
- Communicate with your teen
- Learn from your kids
- Search Google
- Learn from their history
- Your relationship makes all the difference
- Shoulder surfing
- A better solution than monitoring software
- Join your kids!
General Q&A for Tim and a panel of students
You can access the live workshop here. Check it out and tell others! Also, if you can’t watch it live it will be recorded and be in the archive that can be accessed from the live streaming site on ustream.tv.