1. What do you think of the United Methodist Church’s policy goals for 2008?
2. Latino evangelicals question loyalty to the GOP over the immigration issue.
3. Pretty cool story – a 92-year-old legally blind golfer makes a hole-in-one. Considering how many people with perfect 20/20 vision can’t do this it is pretty amazing.
4. It seems like we are not well prepared against a cyber-attack.
5. It seems like we are in the twilight zone. I watched this on Hannity & Colmes, and am still shaking my head in amazement. I would vote for McCain over Clinton everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Crazy talk! I looked out my window to see if pigs were flying.
6. A focus group put together by Politico consisting of 11 Republican women who before the debate were undecided. Good results for Mike Huckabee with this group.
HT: One Mom
7. Pistol Pete answers the question “Why Go to Church?” Great post considering that church has been getting a bad rap in the blogosphere (some deserved, some not).
8. Seth Barnes posts on “Parents who don’t disciple their kids“
Here’s where many parents miss the boat: discipling is a process that usually is attended by pain and discomfort – things that parents work hard to protect their children from all their lives. They seem blind to the fact that their kids will never get to greatness without diving headlong into uncomfortable, stressful, ambiguous situations. And because of that, many parents are at odds with discipling ministries like AIM right off the bat.
That is a frustrating thing that I have experienced as a youth pastor. Seth hits the nail on the head with this post.
9. Greg Stier lists seven sentences that should be fighting words for Christians.
- “Christians shouldn’t debate theology.”
- “Every religion ultimately leads to God.”
- If a person lives a good life God will probably let them into heaven.”
- “We can’t really ‘know’ anything for sure, especially when it comes to spiritual truth.”
- “I follow the red letters of the Bible more than the black ones.”
- “I refuse to believe that a God of love would send people to hell.”
- “The gospel of Jesus is not a set of propositions.”
Read his entire post and let me know what you think.
10. Tim Schmoyer in his last post of the “Navigating the church system” series discusses common mistakes by youth pastors based on material from Tiger McLuen. I wished I had known this earlier on in my youth ministry career.
11. Great quote on the Word of God
Indeed the Word of God is like the sun, shining upon all those to whom it is proclaimed, but with no effect among the blind. Now, all of us are blind by nature in this respect… Accordingly, it cannot penetrate into our minds unless the Spirit, as the inner teacher, through his illumination makes entry for it.
– John Calvin Institutes 3.2.34
12. Jim Clark wrote a great post on church growth relating lessons learned from a turnaround strategy that Starbucks is employing. Pretty interesting.
14. My friend Eric had a great post on the doctrine of the atonement. Great post and he is considering a series on the topic.
15. New York Giants 17 New England Patriots 14 – I am thrilled not because I am a Giants fan. This was more of a case of rooting against the Patriots. With spy-gate, Tom Brady controversies and continual bad behavior from Randy Moss I would rather see a class team go undefeated.
16. My friend Noah addresses an issue that I’ve seen quite a lot of – isolation of Christians from the Body of Christ due to a variety of reasons – sin, dislike of direction, relational conflict, you fill in the blank. Great post.
17. There is an interesting review of Gary Thomas’ book Sacred Marriage over at Mere Orthodoxy.
18. The military prepares for Hillary (or any Democrat) as President. These made me laugh out loud.
19. Joe Carter made a case against Mitt Romney.
20. Is the evangelical left rejecting reality? David C. Innes thinks so. I would for the most part agree.