Much attention is being focused on the presidential election and that is understandable. Not many are focused on what is going on with Congressional races. All indications are that this will be a Democratic year and that Democrats will be able in build upon their majorities making the Senate filibuster proof. On top of that a likely Democrat White House. What would that be like? An op/ed in the Wall Street Journal paints a picture of likely changes.
Though we doubt most Americans realize it, this would be one of the most profound political and ideological shifts in U.S. history. Liberals would dominate the entire government in a way they haven’t since 1965, or 1933. In other words, the election would mark the restoration of the activist government that fell out of public favor in the 1970s. If the U.S. really is entering a period of unchecked left-wing ascendancy, Americans at least ought to understand what they will be getting, especially with the media cheering it all on.
With a liberal president and a liberal supermajority we are likely to see according to WSJ:
- Medicare for all – government-run health care from cradle to grave.
- Unfavorable business climate – endless congressional hearings and likely see stifling regulations for some industries like telecommunications, biotech and drug makers.
- Union supremacy – allowing measures that would force businesses to recognize a union whether the workers support it or not.
- Increased taxes – even if it is just on those who are “rich” it will impact all of us those job loss, as well as, taxes passed on to us through increased prices.
- Stifling climate change regulations
- Free speech and voting rights – Fairness Doctrine, net neutrality, election-day voter registration, District of Columbia getting a vote in Congress.
- Special-interest potpourri – pandering to NEA, tort lawyers, anti-terror lobby
Read the article since they go more in-depth with these bullet points, but one thing that we are guaranteed if Democrats win the day on November 4 is change. But will it be good change?