I would be interested to see an independent, external poll on the Iowa Third Congressional District Race. Since that never happened in the Iowa Republican Primary race I am not going to hold my breath. Perhaps we’ll see it the week before the election.
The Iowa Republican reported that a poll commissioned by the Polk County Republicans shows that State Senator Brad Zaun leads incumbent Democratic Congressman Leonard Boswell 45.3% to 38%. This poll was also conducted by Victory Enterprises who released in June another poll showing Zaun leading Boswell 41% to 31.8%. This shows a tighter race, but with fewer undecided voters. Other interesting items to note with this recent poll of 300 likely voters:
- Zaun beats Boswell in Polk County, 46.5% to 38.4%
- Among Independent voters, Zaun again leads Boswell, 41.3% to 31.7%
- Boswell hard re-elect is only at 24.7% with a total re-elect of 34%, but 51.3% of voters say it’s time for a new person.
- 25.4% of Democrats say it’s ‘definitely time’ for a new person
- Zaun earns support from 26.2% of Democrats
Zaun carried the Republican Primary in June via a strong showing in Polk County. He has good name recognition in his home county, and is a tough campaigner. The polling among independents and Democrats is definitely reflective of an anti-incumbency year. Boswell’s campaign should not only be troubled by the independent polling, but when over a quarter of your base is voting for the other guy that doesn’t bode well for reelection chances. A lot can change in 12 weeks, but this definitely looks good for the Zaun campaign, and knowing Zaun’s work ethic I know he’ll keep the pressure on.
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Chuck Grassley Leads Patty Judge by 17 Points in Loras College Poll - September 28, 2016
- Phillip Yancey Discusses Evangelical Support for Donald Trump - September 28, 2016
- Blum and Young Top Latest Loras College Poll - September 28, 2016