Susan G. Komen for the Cure announced this week that it will no longer fund Planned Parenthood Federation of America, stating that the change is due in part to a new grants policy that denies funds to organizations that are under investigation at the federal, state, or local level. PPFA is currently the focus of a congressional investigation, and multiple affiliates are under state investigations. Planned Parenthood operatives are lashing out at Komen across the Internet and throughout the media, in what appears to be a coordinated effort to paint Komen’s policy as cowardly and politically motivated.
“This proves what a dangerous friend Planned Parenthood can be for anyone with even a modicum of scruples. They unleash the dogs of war against Komen when they clearly brought this upon themselves,” said Paul E. Rondeau, executive director of American Life League. “Komen was forced to cut ties due to Planned Parenthood’s mounting pile of dirty laundry: Komen did not cause multiple criminal investigations, establish a pattern of avoiding laws meant to protect children from child predators, or get caught over-billing and defrauding the government when state audits were conducted. Komen is not to blame for Planned Parenthood’s deteriorating brand.”
American Life League published research last summer revealing that Komen affiliates had awarded $629,159 to Planned Parenthood affiliates for “breast health.” The only “breast health service” Planned Parenthood affiliates are qualified to give is the same manual exam most women do at home in their shower. Cecile Richards, president of PPFA, had claimed that if PPFA lost federal funding, women would go without mammograms, but then it was quickly revealed that no Planned Parenthood facilities provide mammograms.
After years of complaints from pro-life groups that even a single dollar given by Komen to the nation’s largest abortion chain ran counter to Komen’s stated mission of saving lives, the revelation that Planned Parenthood was lying about providing mammograms reignited the controversy.
“Politicians in Planned Parenthood’s pocket might want to heed what is currently happening,” added Rondeau. “Komen did not side with pro-lifers. Yet, since Komen is no longer financially useful, Planned Parenthood is not only throwing it under the pink bus, Planned Parenthood is driving the bus.”
- Under fire, Komen CEO denies politics in Planned Parenthood cuts (vitals.msnbc.msn.com)
- After Lying About Providing Mammograms, Planned Parenthood Outraged That Breast Cancer Charity Cuts Off Grants (weeklystandard.com)
- Susan B. Komen Website Hacked After Withdrawing Funds For Planned Parenthood (thegatewaypundit.com)
- 2012, A Sequel to Planned Parenthood’s Most Difficult Year? I Hope So! (caffeinatedthoughts.com)
- Mollie Hemingway on Komen and Planned Parenthood (firstthings.com)
- Planned Parenthood sees big spike in donations (msnbc.msn.com)
- Top Komen Official Quit Over Planned Parenthood Funding Cut (lifenews.com)