The Pioneer Institute, American Principles Project and Pacific Research Institute released a study of how much it will cost the 45 states and the District of Columbia to implement the Common Core State Standards. President Obama offered up $4.35 billion in stimulus money through his Race to the Top program. The start up costs nationally is estimated to be $10.5 billion with at least $16 Billion to be spent over the first seven years.
They addressed midrange estimates which only includes the basic expenditures required for the implementation of the new standards. Things like the assessment of students, professional development of teachers, technology needed, and textbooks & other instructional materials. These costs do not include the cost of additional expensive or controversial reforms that are sometimes recommended to help students performance such as performance-based compensation and smaller class sizes.
The Iowa Legislature is currently considering Governor Branstad’s education bill which include an expansion of the Iowa Core and alignment of Iowa’s standards with those of the Common Core Curriculum. In light of that it would be good to share the estimated numbers for Iowa. Iowa has joined an assessment consortia, the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC), which makes an impact on the cost for the state.
AccountabilityWorks who was commissioned to do the study for the groups mentioned above estimated the costs for Iowa to be over the next seven years to be:
- Approximately $60 million for professional development for teachers
- Approximately $26 million for textbooks
- $75 million for technology.
So Iowa is facing an estimated price tag of at least $161 million and that isn’t including assessments as they didn’t give a breakdown of the cost per state. This is just to implement the common core. It doesn’t include the operational costs we already pay for.
The Iowa Legislature needs to ask themselves is it worth the cost to Iowa’s taxpayers to implement these standards which further erode our sovereignty over the education of our children.
You can see the entire study embedded below:
- How Much Will Implementing the Common Core State Standards Cost South Carolina? (caffeinatedcarolina.com)
- Common Core State Standards Estimated Cost is $16 Billion for States (caffeinatedthoughts.com)
- Notice to DESE: SHOCKER! Apparently Common Core Standards Will Cost Missouri Money. (missourieducationwatchdog.com)
- IN Common Core Investigation Resolution Passes Committee (truthinamericaneducation.com)
- S.C. Governor Nikki Haley Backs Bill to Block Implementation of Common Core State Standards (truthinamericaneducation.com)
- Common Core Standards Cost Exceeds RTTT Stimulus Funds (truthinamericaneducation.com)
- Is The U.S. Dept. of Education Violating Federal Law by Directing Standards, Tests & Curricula? (caffeinatedthoughts.com)
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- The Top 15 Most Popular Governors Are Republican - April 19, 2018
- Iowa Ethics & Campaign Disclosure Board Sides With Pate, Rebuts AP Story - April 18, 2018
- Update: Reynolds Signs Bill Changing Iowa’s Statewide Assessment Developer - April 18, 2018