The Iowa Senate District 36 primary race has Marshalltown attorney and former state senator and assistant minority leader Larry McKibben pitted against former educator and worship leader Jane Jech who also lives in Marshalltown. Iowa Senate District 36 includes Marshall and Tama Counties and the southern edge of Black Hawk County.
While I believe either candidate would be a far cry better than the incumbent State Senator Steve Sodders (D-State Center) I feel that there is plenty of contrast within this primary. Here we have an establishment candidate and former legislator in McKibben. Jech is a tea party activist and in touch with the grassroots.
It’s a no brainer for me… especially when you consider McKibben’s record. Some votes and positions of concern:
- In 2008 he voted for the universal preschool program (2008 H.F. 877).
- He voted in favor of a mandatory HPV vaccination coverage (2008 H.F. 2145).
- He favors raising the gas tax.
- He voted for the $800 Million Iowa Value Fun (2003 – HF 683/SJ 1255).
- He voted in 2007 to increase Iowa’s minimum wage (HF 1)
- He voted to required employers to give time off for the Iowa Caucuses – (2008 SF 2355) – I’m in favor of people being active in the Caucuses, but the state should not force businesses to give time off.
- He also favors exceptions for rape and incest for abortion which prevented him from getting a recommendation from Iowa Right to Life. I realize that some might feel that is extreme, but I believe it is tragic to create another victim in circumstances such as that. Innocent life shouldn’t be put to death because of the sin of the father.
Jane Jech is a constitutional conservative…
- Believes in local control in education and school choice. Let parents and local communities control education dollars instead of educrats in Des Moines.
- Along that vein she wants to restructure the Department of Education to become a resource and have an advisory role instead of a bureaucracy that takes decision making ability and dollars away from parents and communities.
- She wants to budget in a way that makes Iowa less dependent on federal dollars.
- She wants to restrict the size of government.
- She wants to pass property tax reform with shifting the cost.
- She wants to design state laws that protect us from an ever-growing Federal bureaucracy with their unfunded mandates.
- She is pro-life and favors a constitutional amendment protecting the definition of marriage.
- She respects the U.S. and Iowa Constitutions.
Frankly, McKibben had his time in the Iowa Senate. It’s time for fresh blodd. I believe Iowa Senate District 36 will be best served by Jane Jech. Please vote for Jane this Tuesday.