Not all Planned Parenthoods offer the same abortions. The Iowa City Planned Parenthood clinic advertises abortions up to 21 weeks, 6 days (1 day short of calling it “22”). That’s further along than Planned Parenthood in Des Moines, which advertises abortions up to 19 weeks, 6 days.
Iowa City is one of Planned Parenthood’s four surgical abortion centers in Iowa (they call them “in-clinic” abortions.) Planned Parenthood also has 14 locations doing abortions by webcam, where the doctor is not even in the building to examine the woman, before she is given the RU-486 abortion pill cocktail, and then sent home to abort her child. There are also five Planned Parenthoods in Iowa that are “Abortion Referral” sites.
Planned Parenthood Surgical Abortion Centers in Iowa
Location Abortions up to…
- Iowa City 21 weeks, 6 days
- Des Moines 19 weeks, 6 days
- Bettendorf 17 weeks, 6 days
- Sioux City 16 weeks, 6 days
Why have abortions up to 22 weeks in Iowa City? It could be because they have emergency back-up at the University of Iowa Hospitals. The further along an abortion is, the more likely the complications. It might be that they have abortionists in Iowa City willing to abort that far along—although that doesn’t make sense that nearby Bettendorf, probably served by the same abortionist, would be limited to 18 weeks.
It could be for competitive advantage—Emma Goldman in Iowa City advertises abortions up to “19 weeks and 6 days” and Planned Parenthood might be trying to out-abort them for the profits.
In the Midwest, only St. Louis and Kansas City Planned Parenthoods have thresholds comparable to Iowa City:
Planned Parenthood Surgical Abortions in Midwest
Location Abortions up to…
- Kansas City—Overland Park – 21 weeks, 6 days
- St. Louis – 21 weeks, 6 days
- Columbia – 13 weeks
- Madison—East -19 weeks
- Milwaukee – 16 weeks
- Appleton – 13 weeks
- Aurora Mega Clinic – 17 weeks, 6 days
- Downtown Chicago—LaSalle Street 17 weeks, 6 days
Nebraska (like Iowa, run by Planned Parenthood of the Heartland)
- Lincoln and Omaha – 16 weeks, 6 days
- St. Paul-Vandalia – 13 weeks, 6 days
- Sioux Falls – 13 weeks, 6 days
The only other Planned Parenthood we found so far that does abortions further along than 22 weeks is in New York City, which advertises them at 24 weeks. This clinic is ironically called the “Margaret Sanger Clinic” for Planned Parenthood’s founder.
What this demonstrates again is that Planned Parenthood sees women in Iowa as either cash cows or guinea pigs. Maybe both.
Latest posts by Jenifer Bowen (see all)
- Can You Believe This? - September 15, 2018
- Iowa Pro-Life Lawmakers: Wasting No Time Protecting Unborn Iowans - September 4, 2018
- Is This The One Reason Iowa’s Abortion Rates Continue to Tumble? - August 25, 2018