(Des Moines, IA) Franklin Graham, CEO of Samaritan’s Purse and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, launched his Decision America Tour at the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines, IA on Tuesday. The lunchtime event saw over 2500 Iowans come to hear from Graham, son of 97-year-old evangelist Billy Graham, and pray for the state and nation.
“We are here today because our country is in trouble. It is in big-time trouble,” Graham said as he opened the rally pointing out the
“No political party is going to be able to turn this around. I have no hope in the Democratic Party. I have zero hope in the Republican Party. I have no hope in Tea Party or any other party. My only hope is in almighty God and His Son Jesus Christ,” Graham stated.
Graham said that secular progressives want to push Christians off to the side. “I am not willing to go without a fight,” he said.
He noted that evangelicals largely stayed home during 2012. He called on Christians to exercise their right to vote and to vote their values. He acknowledged, however, that the country won’t ultimately see transformative change through the political process.
“Unless America turns back to God, repents of their sin, and experiences spiritual revival we will fail as a nation,” Graham warned.
During the rally Graham shared the Gospel and called for those who didn’t have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ to put their trust in Him. Graham also led the group in a time of prayer. He encouraged those attending to sign the Decision America pledge which reads:
My Pledge to God
- I pledge to honor God at home—by living biblical principles, striving for purity in or out of marriage, and pursuing godliness in all my relationships.
Hebrews 13:4; 1 Corinthians 6:9–11; Romans 12:10; John 13:34
- I pledge to honor God in public—by standing for biblical principles and serving those in need.
James 1:27; Isaiah 58:10; 1 Corinthians 16:13
- I pledge to honor God with my vote—supporting, where possible, candidates who will uphold biblical principles, including the sanctity of life and the sacredness of marriage.
Proverbs 14:34; Psalm 139:13; Matthew 19:4–6
My Pledge to My Country
- I pledge to pray fervently and faithfully for America.
- I pledge to be registered and to vote in every election—local, state, and federal—supporting, where possible, candidates who uphold biblical principles.
I pledge to engage in my community with God’s truth and prayerfully consider running for office.
Graham plans to visit all 50 states. His next stop is at the Florida State Capitol in Tallahassee, FL on January 12.
Watch Graham’s remarks below: