U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s presidential campaign announced the formation of a religious liberty advisory board in order to emphasize its commitment to religious liberty.
“Religious liberty is the cornerstone of the American experiment. From the beginning, our commitment to the principle that no one should ever be prevented from living according to their religious beliefs or coerced into doing something they don’t believe in has been tested,” said Eric Teetsel, Marco Rubio for President’s Director of Faith Outreach. “In the last few years we have seen a debate over the place of religion and faithful people in the public square arise yet again. The next president must stand up and defend the religious liberty of all citizens. Marco and our team are honored to have at our disposal the collective wisdom of America’s foremost defenders of religious liberty. This diverse group represents men and women of many faiths and perspectives, including academics, pastors, and advocates. We intend to take full advantage of their input and wisdom as Senator Rubio fights to protect American’s religious liberty in the 21st Century.”
Prominent evangelicals would include Rick Warren, founding pastor of Saddleback Church, and Dr. Wayne Grudem, who is a research professor of theology and biblical studies at Phoenix Seminary. Grudem has also taught at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in the past.
Below are the list of the members.
- Dr. Carlos Campo, President, Ashland University
- Vincent Bacote, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Theology and Director of Center for Applied Christian Ethics, Wheaton College
- Kyle Duncan, former general counsel of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and lead counsel for the Green family in the Hobby Lobby case
- Tom Farr, Ph.D., Director, Religious Freedom Project at the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs and Associate Professor of the Practice of Religion and World Affairs, Georgetown University
- Kellie Fiedorek, Legal Counsel, Alliance Defending Freedom
- Wayne Grudem, Ph.D., Research Professor of Theology and Biblical Studies, Phoenix Seminary
- The Very Rev. Dr. Chad Hatfield, Chancellor, St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Seminary
- Dr. Thomas Kidd, Distinguished Professor of History and Associate Director, Institute for Studies of Religion, Baylor University
- Dr. Daniel Mark, Villanova University; Commissioner, United States Commission on International Religious Freedom
- Michael McConnell, Richard and Frances Mallery Professor and director of the Constitutional Law Center, Stanford University Law School
- Doug Napier, Senior Counsel and Executive Vice President, Alliance Defending Freedom
- Rev. Dr. Samuel Rodriguez, President, National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference
- Rabbi Dr. Meir Soloveichik, Rabbi of Congregation Shearith Israel; Director of the Straus Center for Torah and Western Thought, Yeshiva University
- Rick Warren, Founding Pastor of Saddleback Church
- Thomas White, Ph.D., President and Professor of Theology, Cedarville University
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Calvinism and the Southern Baptist Convention - December 5, 2016
- A Defense of Christians From an Unlikely Source - December 1, 2016
- Female Draft Provision Removed From National Defense Authorization Act - December 1, 2016