I’ve stated that the only way to beat Donald Trump for the nomination is a two-person race. A field more crowded than that could, at best, see a brokered convention. That’s a risky gamble both in terms that I am doubtful having the non-Trump candidates split up could prevent him from winning the nomination, especially with winner-take-all states, and we don’t know who we would end up getting as a nominee.
I believe Ted Cruz made the case last night that he is the anti-Trump candidate. Marco Rubio has not made any indication that he is willing to concede.
It may be time to sweeten the pot. There are people supporting Rubio who do not like Ted Cruz, and there are people supporting Cruz who do not like Rubio. It doesn’t seem like they like each other very much of late. Regardless I echo Erick Erickson’s call for a unity ticket.
I think they only way to convince Rubio to concede and back Cruz is to promise him a spot on the ticket. It think that may be the only way to convince some Rubio supporters to back Cruz as well.
I like the idea for several reasons.
- While some like to paint Rubio as an establishment candidate, I think he “won” that lane begrudgingly. He has a current 94% rating with Heritage Action, that’s not the rating of a squishy moderate. My problem ultimately my issue with Rubio was that I didn’t see him as a fighter. I think he was wrong with the gang of eight immigration reform bill, but he’s been good on many other issues.
- Can you think of a better team to compete for Hispanic voters against Hillary?
- Florida will be a toss up state, Rubio could help with the Cuban and Puerto Rican populations in the state (who won’t be turned off by his past record on immigration reform).
- Rubio could be an effective surrogate. He’s already shown he can land some shots with Donald Trump. I think he would be just as effective in a general election.
- He’s an effective debater. With Cruz at the top of the ticket having Rubio in the Vice Presidential debate would be a strength.
A unity ticket may be our best shot at beating Trump and winning the general election.
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Featured Sermon: A Biblical Framework for Life - January 22, 2017
- (Video) What Is A Person? - January 22, 2017
- Iowa Lawmakers Reach for Local Control of Education - January 19, 2017