I don’t write much about Liberty University President Jerry Falwell, Jr.’s Twitter feed for the same reason I don’t write much about President Donald Trump’s – it would be all I write about.
Falwell tweeted something interesting on Friday, and by interesting I mean stupid.
Yes, let’s look for the least qualified, least polished, and the most offensive person we can elect because they “will be a fighter.”
Yeah, that’s the type of leader the Bible commends, the bad guy.
I’m not going to say that President Trump has not done any good while in office, that would be misleading. He has, and the reason he has is the people he has chosen to surround himself.
We don’t need more “Trumpian” elected officials.
So while I don’t want to be accused of conflating pastoral leadership with elected officials here are some warnings from scripture about the type of people who rule over us, for example:
- “When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, but when the wicked rule, the people groan,” (Proverbs 29:2, ESV).
- “If a ruler listens to falsehood, all his officials will be wicked,” (Proverbs 29:12, ESV).
- “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall,” (Proverbs 16:18, ESV).
- “Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure,” (Psalm 101:5, ESV).
- “A ruler who lacks understanding is a cruel oppressor, but he who hates unjust gain will prolong his days,” (Proverbs 28:16, ESV).
I would rather vote for a person who best embodies these values, people who are:
- confident, but humble
- a person of integrity
- speaks the truth, but does so in love
I think we would be far better off in all levels of government if our elected officials reflected these values.