The Democratic National Convention approved the party’s platform and it again reflects an all-out commitment to taxpayer-funded abortion on demand.
Democrats are committed to protecting and advancing reproductive health, rights, and justice. We believe unequivocally, like the majority of Americans, that every woman should be able to access high-quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion. We will repeal the Title X domestic gag rule and restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood, which provides vital preventive and reproductive health care for millions of people, especially low-income people, and people of color, and LGBTQ+ people, including in underserved areas.
Democrats oppose and will fight to overturn federal and state laws that create barriers to reproductive health and rights. We will repeal the Hyde Amendment, and protect and codify the right to reproductive freedom. We condemn acts of violence, harassment, and intimidation of reproductive health providers, patients, and staff. We will address the discrimination and barriers that inhibit meaningful access to reproductive health care services, including those based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, income, disability, geography, and other factors. Democrats oppose restrictions on medication abortion care that are inconsistent with the most recent medical and scientific evidence and that do not protect public health.
We recognize that quality, affordable comprehensive health care; medically accurate, LGBTQ+ inclusive, age-appropriate sex education; and the full range of family planning services are all essential to ensuring that people can decide if, when, and how to start a family. We are proud to be the party of the Affordable Care Act, which prohibits discrimination in health care on the basis of sex and requires insurers to cover prescription contraceptives at no cost. These efforts have significantly reduced teen and unintended pregnancies by making it easier to decide whether, when, and how to have a child.
We believe that a person’s health should always come first. Democrats will protect the rights of all people to make personal health care decisions, and will reject the Trump Administration’s use of broad exemptions to allow medical providers, employers, and others to discriminate.
This continues the shift that occurred in 2016 calling for taxpayer-funded abortion and it diverges from mainstream thought regarding abortion according to the annual Knights of Columbus-Marist Poll on abortion. They found:
- About two-thirds of Americans (65 percent) and the same percentage of registered voters say they “are more likely to vote for” candidates who would limit abortion to at most the first three months of pregnancy.
- More than six in 10 Americans (62 percent) say that if the Supreme Court revisits Roe v. Wade it should rule to allow states to determine restrictions (46 percent) or make abortion illegal (16 percent).
- The also find that seven in ten Americans would limit abortion to, at most, the first three months of pregnancy.
- Their poll finds poll finds that, by more than ten percentage points (52 percent to 41 percent), a majority of Americans believe that women should be required to have an ultrasound prior to having an abortion.
- By a margin of more than five to one (80% to 14%), Americans say that laws can protect both a mother and her unborn child.
- An overwhelming majority of Americans (75 percent to 21 percent) are also against taxpayer funding of abortion overseas.
- Six in 10 Americans (60 percent) also oppose domestic taxpayer funding of abortion.
- And by 15 percentage points (55 percent to 40 percent), a majority of Americans support banning abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
National Institute of Family and Life Advocates President Thomas Glessner condemned the platform.
“Throughout the summer, former Vice President Joe Biden has run a campaign that is deeply troubling to Americans that value the sanctity of life. This week, Democrats approved the most anti-life platform in history. Over the past two decades, Biden and other leaders have gone from calling for abortions to be ‘safe, legal and rare’ to openly calling for unlimited abortion up until the time of birth,” he said.
“With the choice of Kamala Harris as nominee for Vice President, the Biden campaign has demonstrated the same dangerous stance on abortion. Harris was an enthusiastic supporter of the so-called Reproductive FACT Act and vowed to aggressively enforce it against pro-life pregnancy centers. NIFLA v. Becerra was originally filed as NIFLA v. Kamala Harris because at that time she was California’s attorney general. This illustrates perfectly her long-standing commitment to abortion industry initiatives.
“I hope Democrats take a step back from their extreme position on the life issue. Rather than being a rubber stamp for the will of the abortion industry, I strongly encourage Democrats to support the work of nonprofit pregnancy centers that provide essential resources to women and children in need,” Glessner added.