DES MOINES, Iowa – Iowans voted to re-elect President Donald Trump in convincing fashion.
Trump defeated former Vice President Joe Biden in the state by 8.2 percent.
- Donald Trump (R) – 893,649 – 53.2 percent
- Joe Biden (D) – 755,428 – 45.0 percent
The president outperformed his polling in the state. The Real Clear Politics average of Iowa polls showed Trump with just a 2.0 percent lead and FiveThirtyEight showed a 1.3 percent lead. Every recent poll with the exception of the Des Moines Register‘s Iowa Poll missed the results outside their margin of error.
- Public Policy Polling – Biden 49 Trump 48 (Biden +1)
- Insider Advantage – Trump 48 Biden 46 (Trump +2)
- Emerson – Trump 47 Biden 46 (Trump +1)
- Des Moines Register – Trump 48 Biden 41 (Trump +7)
- Quinnipiac – Trump 47 Biden 46 (Trump +1)
- WHO-TV 13 – Biden 50 Trump 46 (Biden +4)
The outcome of the presidential contest won’t be known for sometime. Biden currently leads in the Electoral College count 238 to 213, a candidate needs to reach 270 to win.
Of the battleground states that have been called, Trump won Iowa, Ohio, Texas, and Florida. Arizona and Minnesota were called for Biden. Trump currently leads in Georgia, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania. Biden leads in Nevada and has a thin lead in Michigan and Wisconsin. Should Biden’s lead hold in those three states he will win the election.