“I vow I will attack this endeavor with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.”
I love it! At heart I love the enthusiasm of successful coaches, teams, and individual athletes. Their determination and dedication are infectious.
It goes without saying, that what we do as pastors is infinitely more important than what any coach or athlete will accomplish. With that in mind, are you and I “attacking” our responsibilities with “enthusiasm unknown to mankind?”
Don’t get me wrong – I’m not talking about ministering in our flesh or outside the direction of the Holy Spirit. In fact, I’m suggesting exactly the opposite – to be so full of the Holy Spirit, of God-derived courage, and of motivation from an anointed calling that our enthusiasm is God instilled and just as infectious.
Pastors, I hear the same whispers you do. Around every corner there is always a naysayer telling you to “calm down” or to “to take it slow.” They say things like:
- Don’t be too ambitious.
- Don’t get ahead of God.
- Don’t try to be the Holy Spirit to someone.
- Don’t dream too large.
- You can’t change the world.
- We’re just a little neighborhood church.
I say, “Get thee behind me Satan!” There is always going to be someone wanting to throw water on every spark of God-ordained enthusiasm in your church and life. Rebuke them in the name of the Lord! God did not call you or me to be timid, passive, or to think small. We serve the King of Kings who has called us to serve in His Kingdom!
Consider these thoughts …
- You are a servant-leader in the one thing Jesus said he would build – the Church.
- DL Moody said, “The world has yet to see what God can do through one man fully consecrated to Him.” You can be that man!
- God promised, “My Word will not return void.”
- You have the words of life for the walking dead.
- You may not have earthly cheers; but you have a “cloud of witnesses.”
- You stamp eternity with your work.
- Your prayers enter the ears of One “who does not slumber nor sleep.”
- Size is relative, you’re work is “Mega” in the eyes of God.
- That little boy or girl, man or woman saved this week will be the cause of a celestial party.
- You are on the team of the eternal God of the universe.
For those who say, “how sappy and over-enthusiastic”. I say, “I hope so.”
I pray that you and I will take Harbaugh’s example and, “attack (our Godly) endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to (Heaven).”