In light of the latest in a series of frivolous ethics charges, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin now has an official legal defense fund called The Alaska Fund Trust. This is needed because of stupid complaints such as this latest charge:
The complaint alleges:
a) Governor Palin has entered into a contract outside of her official duties with the donors, employees, partners and any or all other participants involved in Sarah PAC.
b) The recent partisan trip to Indiana by the Governor was purely to benefit personal interests, had no benefit for the State of Alaska and was in direct conflict with her official duties.
c) The Governor left the State to participate in these events during the most critical end-of-session Legislative activities, at a time where the legislators themselves are not permitted to leave.
Let me knock this down real quick as it is completely asinine.
1. Sarah PAC funds political travel so it isn’t done on the taxpayers dime. She has done very little with it, and many governors have such a PAC. She actually turned down a request to do a fundraiser for Sarah PAC while she was in Indiana.
2. When I watched her speech at the Right to Life banquet I wondered when she was going to stop talking about Alaska. I’d say roughly 1/4 of her speech was bragging on her state. Every interview I’ve seen her do she’s talking about Alaska. I don’t think many Alaska residents understand the value of her doing that in terms of tourism.
3. Here’s what the Alaska Legislature accomplished while she was gone. Sondra Tompkins, who filed the complaint, evidently didn’t have a problem with the Alaska Legislature’s trip to Washington, D.C. in the midst of their session… on the taxpayer’s dime. It was a 36-hour trip for crying out loud!
So because of stupid complaints like this the Palin family now have a legal bill totaling roughly $500,000. So that is why this legal defense fund was begun. According to the fund:
The Alaska Fund Trust is the official legal fund created to defend the integrity of the Alaska Governor’s Office from an onslaught of political attacks launched against current Governor Sarah Palin, the First Family, and state-employed colleagues. These baseless accusations have cost Alaska more than $1 million in public monies to defend, and Governor Palin has incurred more than half a million dollars in personal debt defending her official actions as Governor.
So if you would like to donate, they list some guidelines:
No donations over $150.00 (that is the maximum amount per donor).
No donations from a registered lobbyist in Alaska or from a person who has competitive commercial contracts for products or services issued to the State of Alaska.
No donations from a federally registered lobbyist.
No donations from a lobbying firm.
No donations from a foreign principal.
No donations from a foreign national.
No donations from any corporation, partnership or union.
No donation that is given, offered, or promised in any way or for any purpose that would be a violation of any federal, state or local law.
No donation that is made upon a condition that it be paid or applied other than for the purpose of the Alaska Fund Trust.
No donation that would violate Alaska Statute 39.52.130 (Improper Gifts).
You can donate online or by sending a check made out to The Alaska Fund Trust to:
The Alaska Fund Trust
P.O. Box 876954
Wasilla, AK 99687-6954
Let’s put these legal bills to bed.
Update: The chief ethics complainer, Andree McLeod, is now claiming the legal defense fund is an ethics violation. Earth to Ms. McLeod, Governor Palin is not the recipient of the funds received, her lawyer is, as well as to pay for the legal defense of other state employees.
2nd Update (4/29/09): Conservatives 4 Palin reports that there is now a frivolous ethics complaint about the legal defense fund set up because of frivolous ethics complaints.
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Recap: A Three-Way Republican Primary in Iowa Senate District 1 - May 24, 2018
- Update: Nate Boulton Suspends Gubernatorial Campaign - May 24, 2018
- Jim Mowrer’s Illegal Endorsement of Himself - May 23, 2018