When I look back on the past year of my life, I almost don’t recognize myself.
I mostly learn by experience, as I think most people do. I don’t remember the programming language I learned in the class I took last spring but I have learned how to confront people and how to take it when someone confronts me. I have learned to work hard with a good attitude. I have gone from an awkward college freshman to living on my own this summer and having a landfill engineering internship. I bumbled through this all but it has so been worth it. (Let me tell you that confronting female college roommates can be much more intimidating than confronting large, leathery construction workers.)
I am so excited for what God has for me and for all of us this next year. So check out 5 of the lessons that I’ve learned this year and comment with your own! I would love to hear what you’ve learned this past year.
These are mostly directed towards college students because, well, that’s what I am.
1. Sometimes losing an argument is better than losing a relationship, even if you know you’re right. (This applies a lot in dealing with roommates.)
2. Students are called to do more than just prepare for the future; we are called to minister to those around us and work diligently right here, right now! As a friend says, “There is no such thing as filler time in our lives.”
3. I once heard a quote that went something along the lines of, “What you do with your days is how you will spend your life.” Reaching large goals means taking small steps.
4. To people still in school: Someday instead of earning A’s and B’s, you will earn money! It rocks but you don’t want to fail your paycheck (a.k.a. get fired) so work hard.
5. Do what you love and be diligent. I switched to a major that I feel called to because I realized how much more of an impact I will have if I’m doing something I am truly passionate about. It’s important to do something somewhat practical but if God has truly called you to an area then don’t be scared to pursue it! A friend also wants to add, “Don’t go to grad school just because it’s the thing to do.”
What did 2009 teach you?
Latest posts by Emily Heikes (see all)
- Daughters of Christ - February 11, 2010
- I am in Turkey. That is all. - January 17, 2010
- Lessons learned after another year of mad chaos, a.k.a. college. - January 2, 2010