There is an interesting race in Delaware to see who will finish the remainder of Vice President Biden’s term in the U.S. Senate. There is a contested Republican primary on September 14 with Christine O’Donnell challenging 9-term Congressman Mike Castle to be the Republican nominee to run against the Democratic nominee Chris Coons.
What I find appalling is that the Republican Party of Delaware is throwing its support behind Castle (at least they aren’t mentioning her on their website). Shouldn’t the party be neutral in contested primaries? I believe so, and I think Delaware would be wise to follow the Republican Party of Iowa’s example of neutrality and equal opportunity for candidates to get their message to Republicans in the state.
When you look at this race, conservatives have a clear choice, as O’Donnell draws some sharp contrasts between her and her competitor in the Republican primary. Essentially when you look at Castle’s record in the U.S. House of Representatives you can see that he’s clearly a RINO.
Congressman Castle, O’Donnell notes has…
- Voted for the House’s cap and tax bill.
- Voted with liberals to handicap our intelligence and military.
- Voted to increase our national debt and has done nothing to curb reckless spending.
- Voted to keep the death tax, to increase taxes by $3100 on every American Family.
- Voted to subject children to out-of-state abortions without consent.
- Voted to use U.S. funds to support Planned Parenthood.
- Supports human cloning and embryonic stem cell research.
- Voted to ban exploration for domestic energy, voted to prohibit drilling domestically, and banned the building of new oil refineries.
- Voted to allow liberal activist judges to strip “under God” from the Pledge of Allegiance, against the Constitutional protection of marriage, and against educational choice for parents with children in failing schools.
- Voted in favor of the stimulus package.
- Voted to protect 103 pork projects that would lead to corruption and waste.
- Remained undecided on Obamacare until four days before vote which certainly doesn’t demonstrate principle.
- The NRA has given him an F rating which indicates he has a strong anti-2nd amendment position.
Isn’t this guy in the wrong party? You can see in his own positions page a lack of conviction. He makes no mention of gun rights, sanctity of life, or government spending. He doesn’t list domestic drilling and exploration as a way to gain energy independence. The National Journal ranked him in 2009 as the least conservative Republican in the House of Representatives. Yet this is the guy the Delaware GOP is backing in a contested primary? Craziness.
Christine O’Donnell however…
- Believes jobs are created when businesses are freed from endless taxes and bureaucratic red tape.
- Believes terrorism is an act of war requiring the full force of our intelligence and military resources rather than granting terrorists precious Constitutional rights and outsourcing our foreign policy to the U.N.
- Believes heaping trillions in debt on the backs of our grandchildren is immoral and that Congress is elected to make the hard choices to preserve our nation’s future prosperity.
- Will fight to remove the crushing tax burden faced by American families and businesses and dramatically simplify the tax code.
- Will fight to defend the dignity and rights of every human life, including protecting Americans from being forced to pay for abortions with tax dollars, and vigorously fighting human cloning and the destruction of unborn children in medical experiments.
- Supports a market-based approach to energy solutions that will keep competition high and energy prices low.
- Believes our country was founded on core values of faith, family and freedom and will fight to defend those values. Will always fight for maximum choice for parents about where to educate their kids, including private, parochial and charter schools or in the home.
- Believes unrestrained government spending is eroding our freedom, destroying our economy and ceding our sovereignty to foreign debt- holders like China.
- Renounces corrupt pork-barrel politics, including earmarks, and will fight for increased transparency and performance information for every Federal program.
- Believes that the solution to the healthcare crisis is less government meddling in the doctor/patient relationship, more competition in the insurance market and more choice for families about their health plan.
- The NRA has given her an A rating because her strong support of 2nd Amendment rights.
See the difference? She’s firing a new salvo in the next battle of Tea Party vs. RINO. The last Rasmussen poll in this race shows Castle losing support, while O’Donnell also leads Democrat Chris Coons. This does appear to be a winner takes all primary, and the person who wins in November will be sworn in immediately which is important to help stave off what what may be planned in the lame duck session. We can trust O’Donnell to do that, Mike Castle we can’t.
Also Jim Hoft of Gateway Pundit interviewed her as well who thinks she may be the next Nikki Haley:
So I encourage Delaware Republicans to vote for O’Donnell in your primary on September 14th and work to send her to the Senate in November. She is the common sense conservative that we can trust.