Donald Trump has ended the speculation. Indiana Governor Mike Pence will be Trump’s running mate. Trump’s choice of Pence was a safe, but unimaginative choice. Pence has the legislative and governing experience Trump lacks, but Pence lacks three essential ingredients that Trump needs.
It may not be possible to find a running mate who delivers all three and who is qualified to run, but Trump could have selected someone who could deliver at least one or two out of the three.
Agree with it or not the Republican Party has been pegged as the party of old white men. This ticket unfortunately perpetuates that. Donald Trump at the top of the ticket has seriously undermined efforts to reach out to different voting blocs. His approval rating with blacks, Hispanics and women are abysmal. The right pick could have made some inroads.
I would be the first to say that a vice presidential pick should not be made based solely their demographics, but we shouldn’t ignore it either. There were prospects who are experienced who could have been on Trump’s list to choose from. Here are some names that come to mind:
- Former Louisiana Bobby Jindal
- U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC)
- New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez
- Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval
- U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX)
- U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)
- Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin
- Former Congressman J.C. Watts (R-OK)
- Former Secretary of State Condelezza Rice
- Congresswoman Mia Love (R-UT)
- South Carolina Nikki Haley
- Carly Fiorina
- Former Congressman Allen West (R-FL)
Now I don’t agree with every person on this list in terms of policy, but they would deliver in terms of bringing diversity to a ticket that sorely lacks it.
In all of the top tier lists I’ve seen I saw a lack of diversity. Were ANY of these people considered? Granted with a few names on this list Donald Trump has burnt bridges with so they wouldn’t consider it which further highlights his problem with diversity.
Read the rest at The Daily Caller.
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Religious Freedom Restoration Act Advances in Iowa Senate - February 16, 2018
- Sharing William Wilberforce’s Story on the Iowa House Floor - February 14, 2018
- Iowa Constitutional Amendment Affirming 2nd Amendment Survives Funnel - February 14, 2018