The question of what Iowa Governor Terry Branstad is going to do in light of the 2018 Iowa gubernatorial race has been answered. Last night Jennifer Jacobs with Bloomberg Politics broke the news that Branstad was offered and accepted the ambassadorship to China.
The Trump transition team just made the formal announcement this afternoon.
Longtime readers of Caffeinated Thoughts will know that I could not be counted among Governor Branstad’s fans primarily in the arena of education policy.
I do offer him a sincere congratulations upon hearing this news.
President-elect Donald Trump has made an excellent pick choosing Branstad to represent the United States. This pick is a no-brainer, I can’t think of anyone better suited for this role than Governor Branstad, he is uniquely qualified for this role.
Here are seven reasons why I believe this is a good choice.
- Branstad has been a long-time friend of the current Chinese President, Xi Jinping, having first met in 1985. He is considered an “old friend” by Jinping which is a culturally significant title.
- Branstad has experience working out trade deals with the Chinese which have been beneficial to Iowa’s farmers.
- He has a long-standing relationship with the Chinese Ambassador to the United States Cui Tiankai.
- Branstad has collaborated with the Ministry of Agriculture for China which included meetings with Minister Han Changfu.
- He has worked closely with Madam Li Xiaolin of the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries to further relationships between states in America and Chinese provinces.
- He understands the need for free and fair trade.
- He is respected by the Chinese, and has the competency and temperament to represent American interests promoting regional stability in light of North Korea, the South China Sea, and Taiwan.
Thank you Governor Branstad for your years of public service to our state, and God bless you as move forward with this new opportunity. The United States will be fortunate having you represent our interests in Beijing.
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Ernst Will Work to Add Hyde Amendment Language to Alexander-Murray Bill (Update) - October 19, 2017
- Three Follow-Up Comments About the Ames High School Band Protest - October 19, 2017
- The First Amendment Protects Student Protest We Disagree With - October 16, 2017