President-Elect Joe Biden announced that California Attorney General Xavier Bacerra would be his pick for U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services.
I can’t think of a worse person to tap. Bacerra will be the polar opposite of current HHS Secretary Alex Azar. He will be the anti-Azar.
Azar has been one of the Trump Administration’s bright spots, implementing the Protect Life Rule and protecting religious liberty.
If confirmed, Bacerra will reverse all of that and do far worse based on his record.
- Bacerra defended the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate.
- He challenged the conscience protections for medical professionals and hospitals who refused to perform procedures such as abortion. He sued the Little Sisters of the Poor.
- He sued the Trump Administration over its decision to cut Title X funding from Planned Parenthood.
- He defended a law that required pro-life pregnancy centers to tell their clients the state would pay for their abortion. The Supreme Court struck that law down 5 to 4 in 2018.
- Bacerra continued his predecessor’s (Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris) prosecution of journalist David Daleiden who exposed controversial comments made by Planned Parenthood staffers in several undercover videos released in 2015. In 2017, Bacerra filed an arrest warrant for 15 counts of criminal invasion of privacy charges against Daleiden and his “co-conspirator” Sandra Merritt.
- He vowed not to prosecute women who have an abortion if Roe v. Wade were struck down. (Mainstream pro-life groups do not support the prosecution of women, but abortionists, and even if the Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade, California would have to pass restrictions.)
- Bacerra was the keeper of the list of places where state-funded and state-sponsored are banned because they don’t cater to the LGBT agenda. Bacerra added Iowa to that list in 2019 because the state defunded Medicaid dollars for transgender surgeries.
So President-Elect Biden wants to have an HHS head who has sued nuns, prosecutes journalists, but wouldn’t enforce the law where it suits him. He wanted to force crisis pregnancy to promote abortion, something that is contrary to their mission.
President-Elect Biden said he wanted to unite Americans, but then he appoints this man? I understand his cabinet will be full of people I disagree with, but he can certainly find someone less controversial than this. This announcement shows that President-Elect Biden is not serious about uniting Americans when he appoints someone who has flagrantly violated people’s liberty in his state.
The Senate must nix this appointment.