The Blunt Amendment was defeated in the Senate today on a 51-49 vote. The measure introduced by Senator Roy Blunt (R-MO) would have allowed employers to opt out of health care coverage which would violate their religious or moral beliefs. In effect Obama’s contraceptives mandate trumps religious liberty.
Senators Ben Nelson (D-NE), Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Bob Casey (D-PA) voted with Republicans in support of the amendment. Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL) who is on medical leave did not vote. Senator Olympia Snowe (RINO-ME) joined with Democrats to vote against this bill. Snowe has recently announced that she will not be running for reelection. Will Maine actually send a real Democrat down to Washington instead of a Republican who acts like one?
This debate is not over as the House will be considering H.R. 1179 the Respect for Right of Conscience Act sponsored by Congressman Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE) who has 220 cosponsors for his bill. The Senate companion bill is S. 1467.
- Senate heads for showdown over contraceptives (reuters.com)
- What’s my line? (worldmag.com)
- Blunt the Attacks on Religious Liberty: Repeal Obamacare (heritage.org)
- Senate puts members on record for or against Obama law requiring free birth control (startribune.com)
- Romney Flip-Flops on Blunt Birth-Control Amendment (newsmax.com)
- Land urges Senate support for anti-mandate bill (bpnews.net)
Latest posts by Shane Vander Hart (see all)
- Trump Reverses Obama’s Transgender Military Directive - July 26, 2017
- The White House Dumpster Fire - July 25, 2017
- The Des Moines Register Push Polls Anti-Homeschooling Narrative - July 25, 2017