Bye, Bye Rob Bell

rob bell

Rob Bell has definitely jumped the shark.  John Piper had it right when he said, “Farewell Rob Bell” in a tweet heard around the Christian Twitterverse.  Any thought that he still embraced a shred of orthodox Christian theology and practice has now been obliterated.  He had some redeeming qualities.  He was an excellent communicator and his desire to reach out to those in poverty is admirable, but the good can not out weigh the bad.

Rob Bell is off the reservation.  Rob Bell isn’t even on the map.

I think those who have read me long enough know that I am no fan of Rob Bell.  Sure I enjoyed some of his Nooma videos, but I as I read more I was concerned by what I see to be his low view of scripture, errant view of the Gospel and high view of culture.

With someone who has questioned salvation through grace alone by faith alone in Jesus, questioned the virgin birth, and casts doubt on the reality of hell – should it surprise us that Rob Bell has now come out in favor of gay marriage?

Nope.

The Huffington Post reports that Bell came out for gay marriage during a sermon preached in a Episcopal Church in San Francisco (how fitting), “I am for love, whether it’s a man and woman, a woman and a woman, a man and a man. I think the ship has sailed and I think the church needs — I think this is the world we are living in and we need to affirm people wherever they are.”

Hmmm… will Rob Bell affirm adultery?  Will he affirm child and adult relationships if they are loving?  How about some big love with multiple wives?  A whole lot of love there!  I mean what won’t he affirm that is done in the name of love?

This is such an asinine statement.  I am for love too.  I am for the love that was shown on a rugged cross when the Son of God died a excruciatingly painful death for my sin and yours.

That is how God demonstrated His love (Romans 5:8).  He didn’t affirm my sin, He died with it on the Cross.  He bore the punishment for it.

I am also for transformative love.  The kind that washed, sanctified and justified the homosexual and others who would not inherit the Kingdom of God if it were not for Christ and Him crucified, (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).

I am for love, the kind of love between a man and his bride that is symbolic of Christ and His church, (Ephesians 5:22-32).

I also believe in speaking the truth in love, (Ephesians 4:15).  What Rob Bell has accomplished is to not only show hate, but also lie to those who are in bondage to that sin.  He is a false teacher.

Can we love the homosexual?  Absolutelyit is possible, and I understand that many in the Church have failed at this.  What it does not mean, however,  is affirming as right what God calls wrong.  The culture may not agree with it, and polling suggests we are fast becoming a minority, but we will never change culture by conforming to it.

So bye, bye Rob Bell.

Photo Credit: Phil (feyip) via Flickr (CC-By-NC-ND 2.0)

Comments

1. Andrew says

Amen! For Rob Bell, not for you Shane! It is time the Church sees and affirms gay relationships! I am a member of the LGBT community, I am in a committed relationship and I am a child of God!

Andrew, you are a child of God in the sense that we all are. You are
      also just like everyone else who has fallen short of God’s standard. It
      really wouldn’t do you any good to see the church affirm homosexual
      relationships, because it isn’t the church’s place. God’s Word calls
      homosexual practice a sin, along with adultery, lying, murder, slander,
      and gossip.

It is easy to justify behavior that God calls sin,
      by saying Jesus paid for that. But, what does that say about the
      relationship? How committed would your “committed relationship” be if
      you found him cheating on you?

Jesus paid an awful price for my
      sin. Sadly, I’m not yet perfected and I still sin. When I do, I eventually feel terrible. I confess my sin, and seek
      forgiveness. And I ask God to help keep me from evil.

I think it speaks volumes when you claim affinity with an organization that seeks to redefine God’s law, while at the same time claiming to be a “child of God”. Be careful you may get to the point of no return and find God saying, “I never knew you.”

2. Michael says

Rob Bell’s gotten himself back in the news, and what a shock, he’s got a new book coming out. Well, his plans to become a big star in hollywood fell through so I guess he’s got to go on being rich and famous somehow.

Shane you wrote: “Hmmm… will Rob Bell affirm adultery? Will he affirm child and adult relationships if they are loving? How about some big love with multiple wives? A whole lot of love there! I mean what won’t he affirm that is done in the name of love?”

Well if we read his full quote in the Huffington Post piece we could answer that.

“I am for marriage. I am for fidelity. I am for love, whether it’s a man and woman, a woman and a woman, a man and a man. I think the ship has sailed and I think the church needs — I think this is the world we are living in and we need to affirm people wherever they are.”

So by the terms of his own statement he is not in favor of adultery. And he is only affirming relationships between two adults. Editing out the first eight words of the quote to score cheap rhetorical points is disingenuous, and it only undercuts your credibility.

Mike, good point. I admit I saw the quote elsewhere and it was edited. That is a my bad, I should have double checked I linked to Huffington Post as a source. I should have checked, so I apologize and I thank you for calling me on it. Now regarding fidelity – how can one be for fidelity and in favor of homosexuality when God clearly states what the boundaries of appropriate sexual relations are. One man, one woman who are married – period.

Well fidelity is defined as faithfulness and it need not include other aspects of a relationship required to fit within the boundaries of an appropriate sexual relationship (no matter how one arrives at those parameters). For instance an unmarried cohabitating couple who are monogomous would still have sexual fidelity even though their sexual activity was not occuring withing the context of marriage. By contrast, if a couple is married and one spouse commits adultery without the knowledge of the other, the relationship between the two spouses still fits within a biblical model of appropriate sexual relationships. However, the cheating spouse cannot be said to have practiced fidelity.

I do not share your skepticism, nor your belief that the “Editing… score[s] cheap rhetorical points” nor is it disingenuous, and it does nothing to Shane’s credibility. Rob Bell has left no doubt in my mind that he’s no longer worshiping the God who created everything. And unless the course of Rob Bell’s thinking and belief is radically changed, it is only a matter of time before other sins are excused away for one reason or another.

4. Dean says

Weird, of all the things this was what did it for you? What is this obsession with the gays that so many Christians have, is it maybe indicative of your own sexual issues? It certainly seems that way from a corporate perspective don’t you think? The Church today certainly has no shortage of sex scandals, we don’t even have to mention divorce. How convenient for you that there are homosexuals in this world to create this diversion. You are severely misdiagnosing the reasons for the decline of the Church in this country my friend.

No… I’ve criticized numerous times in the past… check those posts out I’ve included the links above. I won’t whitewash the problem of divorce in the church. Gay marriage is supposed to help this how?

• Baltimatt says

I don’t see anyone proposing constitutional amendments to bar divorced people from getting married. It’s much easier to pick on the gays.

5. Jat says

I am frustrated by the conservative church idolizing homosexuality as the marker of a “true Christian”. Idolatry is definitely a sin. Speck. Log. Remove.

What? That doesn’t even make any sense. Perhaps we’re focused on it because the behavior is being flaunted in culture and we’re being told that it is normal.

Do you even know what idolatry means? I am not worshiping homosexuality nor do I place it before God. That is what makes something an idol.

6. Sean Baugh says

Yeap – just keep saying “bye bye” to those who don’t agree with you. Enjoy your dwindling followers of your narrow faith. Pretty soon you aren’t going to have anyone to preach to. The church said “bye bye” to me years ago – and in my head, so did God. Luckily I have found thinkers who see beyond your narrow definition of what it means to be a Christian. Call them “false teachers” if you like – that’s your escape hatch. God is still speaking!

7. David says

The Southern Baptist’s formed in 1845 to defend the practice of slavery because they felt they were defending the inerrancy and infallibility of scripture. They got it wrong. And there’s a whole lot more in the Bible about slavery than same-sex relationships. For all of us who call ourselves Evangelicals, it’s at least worth taking the time to listen.